Strange Question about covering skimmer opening in pool wall

Jun 21, 2008
Central MD
So I have posted here over the past year or two about putting in an inground vs keeping my above ground. The wife and I have made the decision to rebuild the above ground,put a sweet deck around it, and stick with what we have. This raises a question that I am not sure how to deal with.

When I rebuild, I will replace pump, filter, liner, skimmer, return, etc. The only problem is my pool is a Doughboy with their goofy proprietary skimmer. As a result, no other skimmer will fit the existing hole. (This is important because I want to hard plumb when I redo everything). To my knowledge, no DB skimmer allows hard plumbing with out some weird hose adapter that they sell. I would much rather use a skimmer that has a 1 1/2 " threaded opening that I can pipe to it directly.

That said- is it feasible to cover the existing skimmer opening with some sheet aluminum or something when I rebuild the pool (remember I'm getting a new uncut liner too!) and then cut in a new skimmer opening to fit a more generic (hayward) skimmer that I can hard plumb to? If so, how does one go about it? I am figuring I can cut a sheet of steel or aluminum and pop rivet it in to cover the skimmer opening. Is is that simple so long as I take care with any sharp edges?

Aesthetics don't matter so much as the wall will be hidden by deck and you won't see the old opening with the new liner.

Thanks for any and all help!!

Gosh I seem to remember we had a member here who did just that. - I think he wanted to move it to the other side or it was damaged or rusted or something. You might want to use the search and look for cutting new skimmer or moving skimmer or something similar. I believe it went very well for him. Good luck!

Recently, sgtdvldog has posted some pics on how NOT to modify your pool skimmer slot. He did not do the work, the previous owner did, and now he's scrambling trying to get it corrected.

Search posts by him and you will find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.