Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaves in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaves in pool

First season using BBB method and have mostly been lurking and reading posts. I appreciate the input of all here as this season has the most trouble-free of any so far. My question regards getting leaves and grass in the pool and the effect on free chlorine. Am I correct in assuming that leaves and grass in a pool will be a drain on free chlorine levels?
    20,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    Raypak 400,000 BTU natural gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaves in pool

Yes it will use some FC. I have a lot of trees in my pool area, and keep the polaris running 4-6 hrs a day. Leaves have to be removed from the skimmer basket as well as the polaris bag.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Some of us use the Pool Skim to capture leaves, bugs, hair, and other floating debris before it goes to the bottom or to the main skimmer. They work great as long as you can get good water flow to one pool return.

I'm in the woods, rural setting, with lots of high winds. I use one Pool Skim this time of year and two in the fall. It catches almost everything, including some dust. Very little stuff makes it to my main skimmer, using a skimmer sock, so I don't have to clean it as much.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, your responses have confirmed my fears that I will have to be diligent in cleaning the skimmer baskets and Ray Vac.

Second part of my question is, will leaves and rose petals in a pool skew the overnight chlorine drop test of less than one ppm of FC?
    20,000 gallon IG plaster pool
    DE filter
    Raypak 400,000 BTU natural gas heater