Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High FC Comparator Block?

1. Back To Top    #1

High FC Comparator Block?

I'm keeping my FC around 10 this summer due to CYA of 90. I already drained once to bring it down from 200+, so I'll wait to do it again. Is there a place where I can buy a comparator block that measures FC levels that high? I already have the TF-100 kit, but I'd rather not use the FAS/DPD test every day. I know I could dilute with tap water, but honestly, I'm looking to be a little bit lazier than that!
    19,500 gallon plaster pool, Kreepy Krauly, IntelliFlo pump, Solar Sun Rings no longer heating the pool now that I have eight 4x12 Heliocol panels on my roof!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High FC Comparator Block?

Nope, you will need to use your tf-100 kit, or use dilution method. Also with a fc of 10 your ph readings wont be accurate.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

Many people use the simpler OTO chlorine test daily just as a simple chlorine/no chlorine check to make sure nothing is going wildly wrong, and then only do the full FAS-DPD chlorine test once a week to see if they need to adjust the amount of chlorine they are adding each day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I passed by the paint counter at Lowes and pulled some yellow chips to bring home, but it's pretty hard to compare. I'm getting familiar with the shade of yellow that 10ppm gives me in the OTO, and I'm also getting a handle on how much bleach I need every day, so thanks for the reassurance, Jason!

Coloeb, I hadn't heard that before. How much variance should I expect?
    19,500 gallon plaster pool, Kreepy Krauly, IntelliFlo pump, Solar Sun Rings no longer heating the pool now that I have eight 4x12 Heliocol panels on my roof!

5. Back To Top    #5

If FC is right at 10, the PH reading will be quite close, just a tiny bit higher than actual. As FC goes up from there, the PH test continues to be higher than actual by more and more, until a little above an FC of 20 it goes totally haywire.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School