Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG brands??

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG brands??

Just got introduced to this site couple of weeks ago. Converted from Baquacil to chlorine using TFP instructions and their testing kit. Sparking clear water now, but am looking to make chlorination easier and am thinking of SWG. What are some good and tested brands or what have you all been using and are happy with. And what should I look out for. Is the Intex from Walmarts any good for $139.00. Thanks in advance for your input.

17,500 Gal
    Sand Filter
    AG
    Vinyl
    1 HP
    15,000 Gal
    Sand Filter
    AG 16x32 oval 6.5' Deep End
    Vinyl
    1 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG brands??

Welcome to TFP.

There are several users here that use the Intex SWG on all sorts of pools. If you go with one you'll want to make sure to stay away from the 8110 model with the copper ion generator. It not only adds copper to your pool but the biggest issue is that they reduced the generating capacity of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

There are many good choices. The Intex unit is very basic and not designed for in-ground pools, but it does work. CompuPool makes some very reasonably priced units. Hayward and AutoPilot are some of the best of the higher end units. And there are many in-between that might be worth looking at, Pentair and Jandy come to mind, depending on your specific requirements.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks TFP guys for the quick response. Please one more question. As I looked further into the Intex SWG, they are sold all over the internet not just Walmarts as was in my last post. Anyhow I was trying to look up specs to see if was big enough for my 17,500 gal pool. Not much on finding spec but I did find that they had a salt requirement chart for pool sizes. The chart only went up to 15,500 gal. So would this dictate the pool size capacity of this unit or do you guy think it would work for a 17,500 size pool. Thanks again, and really like my new TFP test kit.
    15,000 Gal
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl
    1 HP

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the 2009 model 8110...which would work just fine...and is the model before the copper ion thing (sorry intex, but you ruined a good thing)...my pool is approx 13K gals and I run it for 3-4 hours per day...my guess is that if you can find the same model, it should be able to handle a 17K gal pool...given it can be set to run for up to 12 hrs.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Why is the newer model with the 2nd Stage Copper Ionization not as good as the 8110. Is it less efficient or more problamatic. Thanks again.
    15,000 Gal
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl
    1 HP

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    ...If you go with one you'll want to make sure to stay away from the 8110 model with the copper ion generator. It not only adds copper to your pool but the biggest issue is that they reduced the generating capacity of it....
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

yeah...but the 8110 is just fine...it's the 2010 model you want to stay away from. As long as it's not the copper Ion stuff...your fine
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Trying to get this right. So, I'm looking for the 8110 model without the copper ioniztion unit? Does anyone know where to get this? Thanks.
    15,000 Gal
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl
    1 HP

10. Back To Top    #10

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I found some on Amazon.com and ebay. Thanks for your help.
    15,000 Gal
    Sand Filter
    Vinyl
    1 HP

12. Back To Top    #12

Would this 8110 unit work on a 18' x 33' AGP?
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Welcome to TFP. If you get a 2009 model that doesn't have the ionizer it should work fine on that size pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit