Place a "hose" style adapter on return line?

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Odd question I know but here is why I am asking.

The wife wants to get the kids an inflatable toy that needs a hose hook up to it for the water to shoot out the top.

Well our hose is a decent distance from the pool and I was thinking that instead of having to lug out 100 feet of hose to use this thing is there a way to place perhaps a 3 way jandy style valve in the return right at the pool and then have that come off into a "hose adapter" so that we can hook up a hose to the toy and go from there?

Does such an animal even exist and is this possible?

Greg

Assuming the water is going back to the pool, you should be fine.

I wouldn't use a Jandy valve though, as that could be rotated to send all the flow to the hose. I'd just put a T into the line that has a small threaded port and then put a valve in the smaller line.

If your return eye is a screw in type, simply unscrew it and make a connection out of pvc. If you only have 1 return to pool then use a tee , and a cheap pvc valve. Its all removable so it can be stored when kids are not playing. Use a bronze hose bib to cross over from pvc to garden hose thread and use the knob to control water flow.

Yes only 1 return on the pool and yes I do have an eyeball on the return.

Can I assume HD/Lowes would have the proper adapter to get me from 1 1/2 inches down to a standard hose adapter?

Greg

It may take a couple of adapters to get from 1½" to hose threads but HD or Lowes will have them. I'd use a 1½" threaded adaptor into a tee, then a female threaded adaptor out the straight end and plumb the hose adaptor out the branch. That way you can buy a smaller eyeball and use it to adjust the flow out of the toys fountain. It would also still provide circulation in your pool.

You'll get better pressure if you put the tee between the pump and the filter. You can insert a 2" tee into that line with a 1" threaded third hole (they make those) plus a bushing and hose bibb. That will also be a good place to inject air for blowing out that 50' line come winter, if that is something you need to do. I put that set-up on my mine and it works great. I blow all my lines from there using a hose to air-nipple adapter I put together.

That adapter is actually 100' long so I can use my basement air compressor and not buy 100' of air line. I just throttle down to 20 psi at the compressor and the 100' garden hose handles it fine. The hose bibb controls the air blow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.