Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Place a "hose" style adapter on return line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Place a "hose" style adapter on return line?

Odd question I know but here is why I am asking.

The wife wants to get the kids an inflatable toy that needs a hose hook up to it for the water to shoot out the top.

Well our hose is a decent distance from the pool and I was thinking that instead of having to lug out 100 feet of hose to use this thing is there a way to place perhaps a 3 way jandy style valve in the return right at the pool and then have that come off into a "hose adapter" so that we can hook up a hose to the toy and go from there?

Does such an animal even exist and is this possible?

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Place a "hose" style adapter on return line?

Assuming the water is going back to the pool, you should be fine.

I wouldn't use a Jandy valve though, as that could be rotated to send all the flow to the hose. I'd just put a T into the line that has a small threaded port and then put a valve in the smaller line.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

If your return eye is a screw in type, simply unscrew it and make a connection out of pvc. If you only have 1 return to pool then use a tee , and a cheap pvc valve. Its all removable so it can be stored when kids are not playing. Use a bronze hose bib to cross over from pvc to garden hose thread and use the knob to control water flow.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes only 1 return on the pool and yes I do have an eyeball on the return.

Can I assume HD/Lowes would have the proper adapter to get me from 1 1/2 inches down to a standard hose adapter?

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

5. Back To Top    #5

It may take a couple of adapters to get from 1½" to hose threads but HD or Lowes will have them. I'd use a 1½" threaded adaptor into a tee, then a female threaded adaptor out the straight end and plumb the hose adaptor out the branch. That way you can buy a smaller eyeball and use it to adjust the flow out of the toys fountain. It would also still provide circulation in your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You'll get better pressure if you put the tee between the pump and the filter. You can insert a 2" tee into that line with a 1" threaded third hole (they make those) plus a bushing and hose bibb. That will also be a good place to inject air for blowing out that 50' line come winter, if that is something you need to do. I put that set-up on my mine and it works great. I blow all my lines from there using a hose to air-nipple adapter I put together.

That adapter is actually 100' long so I can use my basement air compressor and not buy 100' of air line. I just throttle down to 20 psi at the compressor and the 100' garden hose handles it fine. The hose bibb controls the air blow.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.