Hi! I have a new 15' x 48" Intex frame pool. We have had a 12' ring pool for 5 years and just upgraded to the biggest our little lot and city regs will allow. All was going swimmingly (sorry) until two weeks ago when I tore a tendon in my arm. Nightly skimming and bleach toting became difficult. We started getting cloudy, algae bloomish water three days ago. I was tossing in bleach, 1/2 gal at a time (4000gal) and it is gone by morning. Despite great success with bleach in the past, I weakened and bought some powdered HTH stuff from Walmart Friday. I bought a 1lb bag of shock and some 1" dual tablets (currently no Cya in pool).
According to the directions on the shock, for my 4000 gallon pool I needed 1/5lb. That got me to 2ppm. So I added another 1/5 which brought me to 5ppm. Two hours later (early evening) it was down to .5ppm. I added another 1/5. All in all I used the whole lb in 12 hours and still have dropping readings and a cloudy pool. I've disolved two 1" tablets in two days, but get nothing reading on a Cya test. I am concerned that the chemical set may be too old.
So while I am battling this chlorine eating monster, a bird decides to commit suicide in the pool (between 12pm and 5pm)
At 6pm I dumped a gallon of 5.25% bleach in. FC tested over 5, which was enough for me (need to dilute for higher readings). At 9pm it was still over 5ppm. How long do I need to keep the levels high? I have an old drop test 6 way kit, with new ph and cl solutions. Those are really the only ones I trust. PH was 7.2 this morning, above 7.8 now. Do I need to be concerned with this now, or can I wait and settle that after I stablize the CL levels? I haven't dealt with a dead critter previously, and am concerned this happened when the CL was nil.
Thanks for any help!