Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool got cloudy after adding bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Jacksonville, FL

Pool got cloudy after adding bleach

My pool water was crystal clear. I had some extra 6% bleach (174 oz) so I thought it wouldn't hurt if I added it to the pool. As soon as I poured it into the pool the water became cloudy. Now the entire pool is cloudy. You can still see the bottom but the water has a cloudy haze look. Here are my test results:
    FC 4.0
    CC 0
    AL 100
    CH 400
    PH 7.8
    Sequestrant 9.0
    Borates 50

Why would simply adding bleach make my pool cloudy? Is it calcium precipitation?
    21K - marcite - inground - Autopilot 48 SWG - 240 sq ft Pentair filter - 2hp 2sp Pentair pump - solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool got cloudy after adding bleach

If the pool is a cloudy white, and given your levels, yes it is likely that you are seeing calcium clouding. If it is calcium clouding, bringing your PH down to around 7.2 should clear it up.

Adding bleach raises the PH temporarily, which could have caused the calcium clouding to start. To get it to stop you need to lower the CSI below zero. Lowering PH to around 7.2 should do that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School