Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how badly do i need CALCIUM

1. Back To Top    #1

how badly do i need CALCIUM

hi,

im pretty new here and im pretty new in the pool owning world.

i've read a lot and im starting to understand more the chimistry of the pool.
    i did calculation with the pool calculator but im unshure if i used the good parameter.

first : i tell you my actual pool reading and guessing. you have to know that i just fill the pool after painting it. At the beginning i shock for 24 hour with the chlorinator, i run the pump and chlorinator 24h a day for the last 2 week. Now i run the SWG and the pump 12h a day. the swg is at minimum and chlorine occillate between 2-4. But im limited on the real number by my test,as it read only from 0 to 3 ppm after i guess on yellow intensity.

reading from a 15$ test kit

CL : 3
    PH :7.5
    TA: 95
    CH: guess at 140 ( from city number)
    CYA: guess at 25 ( from pool calculator estimate using 6 lbs of isocyanuric acid)
    Salt: Guess at 4200 ( from calculator )

1-i use a SWG. i cant figure how to consider the paint as plaster, vinyl, fiberglass?
    2-the cya is a bit low i think i will raise it slowly
    3- i wonder how badly i need more calcium to prevent corrosion.
    4-is isocyanuric acid, is it the same as cyanuric acid, does it need more?

Actually the water is clear but at night, if i look at the underwater light, i see that the water has a haze. it might be du to the limit of filtration from sand filter. i know i put a bit too much salt, but this will go down with back wash and fill up.

i would like to have a taylor kit but im doomed since i live in canada and they seem hard to find. There is no Us merchant that want to ship here and TF-100 can't be shipped here too. the only i saw here was 3 time the price of the same US kit.

your advice are welcome,
    bye
    16x36 50 years old painted gunite inground
    Zodiak LM2 SWG, Jacuzzi 1HP, Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how badly do i need CALCIUM

You need better test results than just guessing. If you really can't afford a Taylor kit, you still need something.

If you painted everywhere below the water line and the paint is in good condition you can treat the pool as a vinyl liner pool. But if there are any leaks in the paint layer you should treat it as a plaster pool.

Yes, isocyanuric acid is the same stuff as cyanuric acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: how badly do i need CALCIUM

hi,

thanks for answer. it's not really that i can afford the kit. it's just that paying 240$ for the regular k2006 seem to be a total ripoff.

if some of your fellow american want to have a side line... buy TF 100 or k2006 and sell them on ebay for us canadian.

i will come back with more precise result,

bye
    16x36 50 years old painted gunite inground
    Zodiak LM2 SWG, Jacuzzi 1HP, Sand filter