Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC starting to creep up, what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

CC starting to creep up, what to do?

Hello again all .

I have been struggling to get my Cl to stay balanced with my SWG, I have added enough stabilizer to get it to ~70, although I have not seen this reflected on my TF100 test, (that I am hoping I am reading correctly).

My Cl continues to drop, and I seem to have the need to keep adding bleach every week or so, which my friends who have salt pools have never done. Over the last couple of days, I have seen my Cl to start to stay at about 2.0 (lower than the site's recommendation but I am just glad to see it stabalize), in the meantime, I have seen my CC start to rise from 0 to .5.

On one of the pages here, it seemed to indicate that the CC will rise when the FC is breaking something down. I am wondering if I should just punt and shock with liquid bleach to the shock level of the Chlorine chart on this site.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there any risk of dumping a lot of Cl into the pool for swimmers, balance etc?

Thanks
    Louis
    Inground 30,000 gallon Pebble-Sheen pool
    Jandy Aqua-Pure 1400 Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CC starting to creep up, what to do?

Post a full set of test results. Also post your equipment specs too.

What percentage/length of time are you running the SWCG?

Sounds like you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and the SWCG & bleach additions have just kept up with it. It certainly won't hurt to shock your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

if you are going to shock, check with the experts here if you need to turn off the swg first. do leave the pump running when shocking though.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

You should do an overnight FC loss test, with the SWG off and the pump running, and rule out organics. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, you should shock the pool.

Overnight FC Loss Test
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Post a full set of test results. Also post your equipment specs too.

What percentage/length of time are you running the SWCG?

Sounds like you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and the SWCG & bleach additions have just kept up with it. It certainly won't hurt to shock your pool.
    2.5 FC
    .5 CC
    80 TA
    pH 7.6
    ~40 CYA (but I have added 7 lbs of CYA in the last week, it has all dissolved in the socks, but still only shows about 50 when it should be closer to 60-70)
    Ca Hardness 230

30,000 Gallons Pebble-Sheen pool

I have slowly been increasing my SWG up to its current value of 70%, which I run for 12 hours a day. I started at 50%.

The last overnight FC test I ran (with generator off first reading in the dark, morning reading had some sunlight, but not direct) showed a .5 drop in FC using the TF100 drop test.

Later in the week, I used the "shock" value on my SWG (it runs at 100% for 24 hours), and made sure it stayed on for the 24 hours. Before I did this, I checked the FC which was 3.0, the next morning (~ 8 hours later) it was 3.5, 24 hours later, it was back to 3.0 (there was swimming for about 4 hours that day with 2 adults and 5 or 6 children 90+ degrees and sun all day).

The water has never looked cloudy but I only have about a month for a frame of reference .
    Inground 30,000 gallon Pebble-Sheen pool
    Jandy Aqua-Pure 1400 Cartridge filter