For those still doubting BBB….

Jun 1, 2010
Bonaire, GA
.....I have never owned a pool before...never dealt with maintaining a pool before...was apprehensive about being able to maintain a clean pool for the kids...while researching SWC's i found this website and discovered the BBB method...i read the pool school info and said to my self..."self, it can't be that easy"...well it was:

- Once the pool was done i filled it.
- Got a TF-100 test kit, tested water as soon as pool was full
- First reading were:
FC 0
CC 0
TC 1.0
PH 6.8
TA 90
CH 100
CYA 0
- Added Wally world Bleach, baking soda, borax and Chlorine stabilizer from Lowes per the Pool Calculator
- Ran pump for 24 hrs on low speed
- Done!!!...now i test every other night and add bleach as need.

So far it appears i will be adding about 33 oz of bleach each night...the jug cost me $2.54 for 182oz...so its costing me about $3.50 a week to keep my pool looking Crystal Clear!

If you are unsure...you are missing out!

Take the BBB plunge!!!

Bo

Attachments

• Son2.jpg
    Son2.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 377
I did exactly what you did...only a few yrs ago....had great results too. Although after a few yrs of doing the bleach thing, it gets old....that's when you'll upgrade to a SWG.....and then you'll be wondering why you didn't switch to the salt years ago! Ask me how I know!

prov431 said:
I did exactly what you did...only a few yrs ago....had great results too. Although after a few yrs of doing the bleach thing, it gets old....that's when you'll upgrade to a SWG.....and then you'll be wondering why you didn't switch to the salt years ago! Ask me how I know!

Prov...tell me more...
Do you have an AGP?

What size pool in Gals?

what kind of SWG?

Do you do anything other that test and adjust SWG?

Thanks...i am definitely interested in a SWG...i just wanted to do it manually the first season...i figured after that i would be well versed in pool chemistry and be ready to 'automate'.

Thanks in advance!...Bo

do you only need to add borax once? our pool is just bare concrete....and i'm wondering if that affects the total alkalinity. the filter and our pool cleaner has particles of cement...sand like.

i'm new to this group...have lots of questions about "BBB" i've used baking soda in the past to raise alkalinity....but wonder if borax really would be less expensive than algaecide. i read something about 11 boxes being used. i have an open container of chlorine tabs/chlorinator to last for the summer.

i wish i had found this group in the winter when i had time to read over all the info!

we get black algae....have had some issues with green algae this year. we have a dolphin pool cleaner running every day.

dianne said:
do you only need to add borax once?
I only added Borax to the pool after my first test readings (TF-100 test kit). i have tested PH every day since and have not had to add any.

dianne said:
our pool is just bare concrete....and i'm wondering if that affects the total alkalinity. the filter and our pool cleaner has particles of cement...sand like.
Not sure...kind of new to this...but some one is sure to chime in.

dianne said:
i'm new to this group...have lots of questions about "BBB" i've used baking soda in the past to raise alkalinity....but wonder if borax really would be less expensive than algaecide. i read something about 11 boxes being used. i have an open container of chlorine tabs/chlorinator to last for the summer.
As i understand it Borax is used to raise PH...the correct BBB levels team up to keep the algae away. Again, newb here, but that has worked for me so far...and i only used two boxes to get my 14100 pool to 7.5 PH...and it is holding steady.

dianne said:
i wish i had found this group in the winter when i had time to read over all the info!
I hear ya! i was blessed to find it about two weeks before my pool was installed.

dianne said:
we get black algae....have had some issues with green algae this year. we have a dolphin pool cleaner running every day.
I would strongly recombed the TF-100 test kit and using the pool calculator to make adjustments after testing...i don't see how this could not be your solution...i am sold on the BBB system.

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Hope this helps...Bo

Robins Airman said:
prov431 said:

Prov...tell me more...
Do you have an AGP?

What size pool in Gals?

what kind of SWG?

Do you do anything other that test and adjust SWG?

Thanks...i am definitely interested in a SWG...i just wanted to do it manually the first season...i figured after that i would be well versed in pool chemistry and be ready to 'automate'.

Thanks in advance!...Bo

I've had AGP's, but now I have an IG 32x16 which is 21,000 gals....no matter what type of pool you have really.
I purchased a Circupool RJ45 SWG after doing research here on the forum, and elsewhere. Seemed like a good choice, decent price point, and good warranty. I'm very happy with the upgrade, it's really simplified maintenance, especially when no one is around to tend to the pool.
I did the bleach thing for so long that my testing frequency dropped quite a bit, you can tell a lot just by looking at the water after you know you have good numbers to begin with. Depending on water loss, the amount of testing really boils down how well you know your pool. You'll find this true the more you test.
Regarding the SWG, I tested my water once prior to putting my salt in (~600 lbs) to get good baseline numbers since I was making a big change. I decided on running the SWG @ 80% (they're adjustable 0-100% output) for 11 hrs a day, based on weather and use of the pool. This turned out to be fine, and I'll probably leave it right there. Of note, I oversized the SWG for the pool size, which is common practice.
Going forward, I will probably only check chemistry once every two weeks...it shouldn't change too much if you've got your numbers where they need to be up front.

Currently:
Salt - 3400
CYA - 75
ALK - 110
PH - 7.8
FC - 5
CC - 0
Temp - 92f.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.