Scored a free pump and filter have ?

Jun 1, 2010
Got lucky and scored a free Hayward Micro Star Clear filter and Power Flo Pump system from my sister. The pump is rated at 40 gpm. She doesn't use it anymore and it has been in storage for a few years. I want to test it before hooking it up, what is the best way to accomplish this?

Attachments

• imagemagic.jpg
    imagemagic.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 132
You can turn it on without any water for a couple of seconds to see if the motor spins up. Be careful not to leave the motor on for very long.

To really test it you need to hook up some hoses and get water flowing through it. The simplest way to do that is to connect it to a pool, though you could use a garbage pail full of water if you want.

A dry mechanical seal on a pump can be ruined in just a few seconds of running dry, prime it first and then pump some pool water to be on the safe side. I repair leaking mechanical seals all the time "that only ran for few seconds", I hear it so often its a cliche. Mechanical seals need water for cooling and to lubricate them to prevent scoring. A pump that is already "wet" could be started to check rotation for example but being stored for a few years means its bone dry, I wouldn't start it without priming first...its a big gamble. Imagine that carbon seal face surface bonded to the ceramic surface with dried out calcium or other hard minerals and what happens the first time it hits 3600rpm dry. :shock:

If it didn't leak when it was stored making sure it is wet when its started again is good insurance, I see lots of instances where we store a spare centrifugal pump that is in good condition then when it is put back into service by another person they claim it leaks only to find out they ran the pump dry on first startup...usually by an inexperienced apprentice who was told but didn't heed the advice. :wink:

After you change your first seal to fix a constant leak on a perfectly good pump you won't do it twice, its a job nobody likes to do often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.