Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scored a free pump and filter have ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Scored a free pump and filter have ?

Got lucky and scored a free Hayward Micro Star Clear filter and Power Flo Pump system from my sister. The pump is rated at 40 gpm. She doesn't use it anymore and it has been in storage for a few years. I want to test it before hooking it up, what is the best way to accomplish this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame
    5100 gallons
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump
    BBB Bliss Baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scored a free pump and filter have ?

You can turn it on without any water for a couple of seconds to see if the motor spins up. Be careful not to leave the motor on for very long.

To really test it you need to hook up some hoses and get water flowing through it. The simplest way to do that is to connect it to a pool, though you could use a garbage pail full of water if you want.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I have to modify my skimmer/pump to hook it up to the pool so I want to make sure it works first.
    Intex 16x48 Ultra Frame
    5100 gallons
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump
    BBB Bliss Baby!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd just buy a couple of adaptors and an extra vacuum hose and hook them to it and throw them in the pool and prime it ands run it for a while that way. That way you'll know it works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would say 3 seconds MAX, but fill the basket with water and let it sit for a few hours first.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

6. Back To Top    #6

A dry mechanical seal on a pump can be ruined in just a few seconds of running dry, prime it first and then pump some pool water to be on the safe side. I repair leaking mechanical seals all the time "that only ran for few seconds", I hear it so often its a cliche. Mechanical seals need water for cooling and to lubricate them to prevent scoring. A pump that is already "wet" could be started to check rotation for example but being stored for a few years means its bone dry, I wouldn't start it without priming first...its a big gamble. Imagine that carbon seal face surface bonded to the ceramic surface with dried out calcium or other hard minerals and what happens the first time it hits 3600rpm dry.

If it didn't leak when it was stored making sure it is wet when its started again is good insurance, I see lots of instances where we store a spare centrifugal pump that is in good condition then when it is put back into service by another person they claim it leaks only to find out they ran the pump dry on first startup...usually by an inexperienced apprentice who was told but didn't heed the advice.

After you change your first seal to fix a constant leak on a perfectly good pump you won't do it twice, its a job nobody likes to do often.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011