Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lazy Girl - solar cover modification

1. Back To Top    #1

Lazy Girl - solar cover modification

Well as I was installing our replacement solar cover today I decided to be even lazier about handling it than before. Our reel has always been fairly smooth to roll up by one person with just one hand, but I admit, I'm a whiner when I have to walk from side to side to straighten out a bunched up or a crooked solar cover/blanket.

I put grommets in on the two "weld seams" on the blanket at the end that goes near the deck. I pulled a strap through to make a big loop across from grommet to grommet and secured it. Another "pull" strap was attached midway in that loop and made long enough to run the length of the pool. I attached pieces of foam pool noodle at the cover and at the end of the pull strap to keep the strap from sinking if it falls in the pool. I leave the pull strap tucked away off the side of the deck when the pool is open and when its time to cover it - stand right on the center of the deck and just pull. The cover straightens out as it pulls out because the pull is from the center and not one side at a time. When the cover is all the way on, I roll the excess strap up on the piece of attached pool noodle like a reel. Yep - I'm a lazy girl and it works really sweet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lazy Girl - solar cover modification

REALLY nice idea - I'm even impressed by the drawings!
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Very clever and professionally done. I am impressed with the drawings, also.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

What a great idea, your computer drawing skills makes me jealous too!
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Since I was already braving clouds of mosquitos to put grommets in the other end, what's two more? I actually put some industrial duct tape on the top of the cover to reinforce the area around the grommets since it will have some pressure and force when pulling the cover on - that stuff will stick and stay on a wet cover if installed on a dry surface which is left to adhere for a bit before messing with it and not continually exposed to water like the underside would be. I have to admit that this wasn't a "new" idea - we used to do something similar with our cover when we had an 18' round pool - THAT's how lazy I am - back then I used to whine about pulling that itty bitty cover on!

Re: the drawings - Microsoft Publisher, most of the shapes are already in the program, just plop them on the page, fill with a color/pattern/texture - select all and right-click to save as a jpg. tada
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

I've done something similar and you are right with the constant stress exerted they do eventually tear the cover but I get my covers longer than I need and then just cut when it tears and it is brand new again. Not nearly as nice as an automatic cover but it fits my budget and works great for one person to get the cover on.
    Gary
    18 x 38 28800 gals gunite inground;Purex Triton High Rate Sand Filter;1 HP 2 Speed Hayward Tristar Pump; Raypak Heater
    Aquabot Bravo; Goldline Aqua Logic Controller/SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

NWMNMom, sounds like you have a great system. Can you post some pictures (or have you already someplace) showing how your straps attach to the cover and the reel? Seems like a much better idea than my cover, which I attached directly to the reel since I didn't know any better!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden