1. Old, old, old PacFab DE filter which is rusty and we can't open to clean the grids
2. Rather old PacFab pump with Centurion ePlus motor. 3/4 HP with 1.67 service factor
3. one piddly little water feature that we don't use (similar to putting your thumb over a hose to widen the spray
4. Poolverneugen 2 wheel suction cleaner
5. Intermatic single clock timer (T104)
1. roughly 20,000 sf, one skimmer, one drain
2. Pump/Filter runs 10 hrs/day in summer, 8 hours in the summer. All off peak at 8 cents/KWh
3. Equipment is 15 feet from the pool. There are a total of 4 pipes coming out of the ground (2 to pump, 2 from filter)
4. Recently, the pump hasn't had the power to run both the Poolverneugen and the skimmer, possibly due to the filter being overdue to get the grids cleaned.
5. We've never had any water issues
A respected pool company recommends the Pentair CCP420 and the Intelliflo VS-SVRS. We're fine with making the switch to a Cartridge filter. Doing the basic computation for current pump operations costs, I get between $180 (based on 3/4 HP) and $350/year (based on 1.25 total brake HP). So I'm thinking the Intelliflo is more than we need, and a 1 HP two speed pump may be a better fit. But I'm still not clear on how easy it is to automate a two speed for the different speeds, or more specifically, which two speed pumps will work if we added a T106 to the T104. Any thoughts or recommendations on pumps?