Pond Fountian in Pool

May 21, 2010
I have an in floor cleaning system (caretaker 99) that has multiple water return jets in the floor of the pool, but nothing a water fountain could connect to. It is mid June and our water temp is nearly 90 degrees. I have read about pool chillers, and before I invest in one, I would like to try a water fountain to cool the pool water. Unfortunately, the only fountains for a pool that I have been able to find are those that connect to return jets.

I did some research and found two pond fountains that I could just plug in to a power outlet for operation. However, the pond fountains explicitly say "not for use in swimming pools or salt water." Does anyone know if it is a safety issue, or just an equipment longevity issue.

Also, if anyone knows of a pool fountain that could connect to a caretake 99 return jet system, please let me know.

Thank you!

If I had to guess, I would say that it is probably a safety issue as the pumps are not underwritten to be safe in a pool by electrical standards.

I would also guess it is a safety issue, since pools are usually occupied and ponds are not, the standard of safety would be higher. The pond fountain probably includes warnings to disconnect it when swimming. If this is an adult only home, I would probably go for it, but use it only at night when pool is not occupied, and remove/disconnect it the rest of the time. If you have kids I wouldn't chance it, lest they break your rules and turn it on while they swim.

I am not familiar with your return system, but if it has ANY kind of threaded fitting, adapters should be available that can connect to a fountain. You can make one out of PVC pipe.

To echo what Miranda said; you should be able to remove one or more of your floor jets and find (probably) a standard 1.5" threaded fitting, to which you can attach anything you want. You could build several simple fountains for very little money and have one on each of your cleaner zones. Sounds fun actually! I may have to try that...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.