Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pictures of algae/stains/etc.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pictures of algae/stains/etc.

OK TFPers, here we go.

I think it would be helpful to have a thread with pictures showing different types of algae and surface stains/damage, to help new folks diagnose their problem(s) more effectively. It could serve as a visual encyclopedia of sorts, for common pool problems.

Don't be embarrassed!

I'll start, with what I can provide. Below is a picture of calcium scale on pebble-tec. It looks like a dusting of white powder, mainly forms on the walls (at least in this case), and brushes off with difficulty using a stainless steel brush. This particular photo shows the edge of one of my steps. It is rough to the touch, and wears through swimsuits and toe skin if you're not careful.[attachment=0:2leugfs9]scale.jpg[/attachment:2leugfs9]

Also, any tips for taking pictures underwater? This one was taken from just above the water surface. I tried putting the camera in a ziploc bag, but no good!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pictures of algae/stains/etc.

You're really not going to manage it with Joe Ordinary Camera; you can get an underwater lens and a waterproof camera case from many manufacturers. They also sell underwater disposables.
    Pittsburgh, PA
    16000 gallon AGP, Perflex EC40C75 DE filter, 1.5 HP pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks drow, nobody seems to care though...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think its a good idea. I would add to it but havent had any problems.....yet
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely great idea. I took a bunch of photos when I drained pool. Will try to post some.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

6. Back To Top    #6

Copper stains!! These pictures are from a public pool in the Philippines. Nice blue-green groutlines, black handrail, and green stains on the exposed-aggregate coping: