Intex metal frame pool 15'x48" with undersized pump

Jun 19, 2010
I have bought a REAL pump for my Intex pool this year. The one that came with it stills runs after three years using it which seems NOT to be the norm. This specially wouldn't be since I have to run it 24/7 it seems. I live in south Texas where my pool in the summer seems to be more of a spa then pool. Going in after work for a cool dip is not exactly what happens(water at 92 degrees) :rant: We bought it for my daughter who is now 14.
Anyway back to the pump it's a Hayward super flo pump with filter combo made for above ground pools. The guy in the Leslie's pool store told me that most Intex owners buy this pump to replace the intex type. Since my pool is a 15" pool the wall holes are smaller than the larger intex pools. As most people know in the 15" pools the intex pool returns in the wall are only about an inch at the biggest but my new pump has 1 1/2" hose fittings. :? I managed to rig it all up with the input hole to the pool above water level to see the pressure. I primed the pump and made sure the water was flowing but once it started it quickly ran out of water to work correctly. It actually threw water clear across the pool hit the wall with force and then went to a two foot like turning on a water hose pressure. My Intex pump can throw water maybe three feet at most this way. I cut holes and fitted plumbing to a large cooler last year and attached it to my return with a hose and hose on the other side to my pump. I would freeze water in 3 liter plastic coke bottles and put them in the cooler and a bungie cord around the cooler to keep it closed. It would cool the water down some for the pool. I thought for some stupid reason I could use this for my new pump and the water in the filled cooler would be enough to work the pump while the pool's return would keep filling the cooler enough ...well...the water shot out again hitting the other side of the pool until about 10 seconds later the cooler was empty. :roll: I was told by some pool stores to add a "Y" fitting and either put a hose over the top...once the pump starts pulling the return water it will pull on the one over the top...or hard plumb the "Y" to the return and drain plug for water flow!All this to keep from cutting larger holes in the returns and maybe messing up the soft liner. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Attachments

• my pool plumbing.JPG
    my pool plumbing.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 638
It's a Hayward Power flo LX Pump model number SP1540Z1B with matching Micro-star clear filter C2001540LSS set up. HP 40 GPM pump and Max pressure 50 PSI filter. The photo of filter and pump is the one I put into my picture. It is supposed to pump to a 20,000 turnover rate in 8 Hours. The pump is so much stronger than my Intex pump and the small return hole can't keep up with the correct water flow for the pump. I also couldn't find connections for the drain hole so I'll put a second hose over the top instead. I saw the connection for the INTEX that is supposed to help with the small return making it fit a 1 1/2" fitting for bigger pumps but haven't seen how that works. Hope this enough info. Thanks

You could do what I did which was put in a real skimmer box.

I added a normal Hayward skimmer box to my Intex. You will need to create something to support the weight of the box as it tends to "bend" the liner since the box does not have a metal wall to adhere to for support.

It worked great for us and I was running a Hayward sand filter and 1HP pump. It made a world of difference in the pool for the last couple of season.

Skimmer box was less than $50 at the local store.

Greg

I'm trying not to cut into the liner. I noticed there have been a few who have. They put the larger fittings on too. The skimmer box is a good idea and have looked at the box on one of the pool supply web sites. I guess between my wife and I the cutting of the wall is out for now.

Is it your post that I saw where you used a board to hold the skimmer? I can't find the post again. I never saw your photo due to the fact when I sign on here you are tossed back to the beginning of the forum instead of back where you were.

If you look at my photo again and picture a piece of galvanized metal about 12" wide being placed length wise between each T post which is on either side of the return hole...roll the ends around the posts from the inside to the outside area and then put screws with bolts and washers about every two inches of the 12" width. I figured then the metal and liner hole can be cut out together in a way creating a support wall that way.

Anyway bought some plumbing to start fixing the new pump to the pool. I bought extra to see which way I will go the drain or over the pool top. Thanks

Thought I would draw up the metal attachment for reinforcement of the pool. Once the sheet is reset you can put on the larger fitting and screw the fitting together from the inside and outside creating a ridged strong coupling. I would do this with water in the pool so the liner will stay in the right spot. Maybe a few inches of water below the return to trace the cutting of the metal hole from the inside return of the pool.

Attachments

• pool return.JPG
    pool return.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 583
I plumbed up the pool today with my daughters help. The return to the pool is mostly hose with the "Y" fitting. The part from the filter back to the pool is hard plumbed. Waiting for it to dry before turning on the pump. Wish me luck. If it works will take and show pictures. If it doesn't work then NO PICTURES! LOL

IT WORKED! The difference is amazing. I will have a few pictures up this weekend. We had another hole in the liner at the bottom and patched it first. The water swirls in the pool and I purposely didn't plumb the 45degree fitting that faces towards the bottom. I can pull it off and face it in any direction want to clear out the bottom or make the water churn up the bottom. I have another reducing fitting inside the 1 1/2" 45 degree pipe fitting reducing to a 3/4" center hole. I can hardly hold my hand in front of it due to the waters force.

The Intex people could learn something from this. [attachment=0:13cm0fzu]183830[1].jpg[/attachment:13cm0fzu][attachment=1:13cm0fzu]183826[1] (2).jpg[/attachment:13cm0fzu][attachment=2]183818[1] (2).jpg

Note: pictures are backwards for some reason.

Attachments

• 183818[1] (2).jpg
    183818[1] (2).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 544
  • 183826[1] (2).jpg
    183826[1] (2).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 539
  • 183830[1].jpg
    183830[1].jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 539
Here are the other pictures. I used two return blue screens with the returns. There is a birds eye view of the pipe inlet over the top of the pool. The 45 degree pipe with insert reducing down to a 3/4 round opening. I am holding the 45 in my hand.[attachment=2:dv34quwl]184012[1].jpg[/attachment:dv34quwl][attachment=1:dv34quwl]184028[1].jpg[/attachment:dv34quwl][attachment=0:dv34quwl]183903[1].jpg[/attachment:dv34quwl]

Attachments

• 184012[1].jpg
    184012[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 537
  • 184028[1].jpg
    184028[1].jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 535
  • 183903[1].jpg
    183903[1].jpg
    77 KB · Views: 534
Hello All

Great info here i have the same situation. 18' intex soft side with bad pump/filter unit. I have a rescued Sand filter with Hayward 1.5hp powerflow pump from a hard side 20' pool that i have installed as a replacement for the Intex system and like others here the filter basket does not fill and the pump surges as it runs. I see the solution is to increase the water volume/flow to the filter system with a second line but that is where my confusion comes from.

Should i add the second line and Y to the supply side of the system drawing the water from the High point on pool to pump inlet and then thru filter to return line and into pool or to the return side between filter outlet and low point on pool.

I could not tell from the pictures and descriptions above whether the extra line was drawing from or pushing to the pool

And on a side note would i need to use a skimmer basket with this setup or just the Intex blue screen caps on all the lines in the pool

Any help clarifying the fix would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Frieda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll try to help you more here...if you look at the first and second pictures from the first set of three you will see the RETURN from the pool on the wall which releases the water to your pump. The second hose which is an intex hose as you can tell goes over the pool wall between the "T" and the blue wall. Look at the last three pictures and the third one shows the RETURN from the pool wall and the second intex hose. Both have the blue basket screen type connections. The top hose does the same thing the regular RETURN hose does. When I attach it to the "Y" fitting along with the RETURN hose they both will draw water into your pump. When I made ALL the attachments to the pump I unplugged the black little plug from the wall RETURN from the inside of the pool. Which is used to change the filter in Intex pumps.
Of course the water starts running to the pump and the top hose started to suck water into it because of the suction of the RETURN hose. Once the filter and pump were primed with the water I plugged the pump in, opened the little air knob on top of the filter till all the bubbles were gone. The return goes to the pump which runs the water to the filter that goes back to the inlet of the pool. I used the rubber sleeves the hoses came with to secure the new hose which is bigger to the RETURN. The sleeve fits inside the hose well and keeps the hose from leaking. The hoses then go to a fitting that is ribbed and screws into another 1 1/4 fitting that is 1 1/2 on the other side which fits into the "Y" fitting going to the pump.

Side note; I don't use the basket myself just the blue screen caps.

[attachment=1:1mmf1q0w]183841[1].jpg[/attachment:1mmf1q0w][attachment=0:1mmf1q0w]183932[1].jpg[/attachment:1mmf1q0w]

Note the old inlet of the Intex pool (Black short hose to the right) sticking out. I plugged it with one of the stoppers that came with the pool I was talking about earlier. I used 1 1/2 inch pipe to go from the filter straight across to the "T" leg and then up the leg and over into the pool to the 45 degree fitting as shown in second set of pictures. I am holding it in my hand or top view picture into the pool. The other photo is the return hose over the wall.The hose will stay in the water fine. The dead looking frog is actually a temp thermometer with a string attached to the pole. No the pool is not dirty on the outside and yes the pictures came out backwards. Note the lettering.

Attachments

• 183841[1].jpg
    183841[1].jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 183932[1].jpg
    183932[1].jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 486
Thank you so much wasmussen, that clears things up. Essentially 2 hoses delivering water from pool to pump/filter system 1 hose delivering the water from the pump/filter system back to the pool.

I appreciate your quick response and invaluable information I will let you know how i make out

Thanks Again

Frieda

I wish I could tell you but I don't know. I can tell you the return from the pool goes to your MOTOR and the inlet part of the pool goes to the FILTER part of a setup. The extra hoses from the Return that I used is for more water flow to make the pump itself work. If I'm not mistaken the SAND filter is either in line or would replace my Paper filter part of my set-up.

Maybe someone else can elaborate on this point. If you ask your friendly neighborhood pool store they may be able to explain this.

I found this on the internet hope it helps.

•Step 1
Disconnect power to the pool pump by unplugging the electrical cord or switching the circuit breaker off. This is important to avoid electrical shock while installing the sand filter.

•Step 2
Place the Hayward sand filter on a level spot between the next to the pool filter. To ensure the area is level, use paving stones and a leveling tool.

•Step 3
Use a piece of pool hose to connect the Hayward sand filter to the pool pump. Secure one end of the pool hose to the outlet valve on the pool pump and the other end of the hose to the inlet valve labeled on the Hayward sand filter. Secure both ends of the pool hose with hose clamps and tighten the hose clamps with a screwdriver.

•Step 4
Connect the return valve on the Hayward sand filter and the return jet on the sidewall of the pool using a second piece of pool hose. Secure each end of the hose using hose clamps on each end.

•Step 5
Add the appropriate amount of sand to your Hayward sand filter. Refer to the owner's manual for the exact amount of sand needed for your size pool. Reconnect power to the pool pump, and the system is ready for use

Read more: How to Hook Up a Hayward Sand Filter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5835637_hook-up ... z0tEVJwdzo

Good luck. :)

Hi wasmussen! You mentioned earlier about the pool water being too hot. Since you have proved yourself able with pvc, you should make yourself a pvc fountain and tee it off your return to cool your pool. Intex seems to have discontinued the sprayer they used to sell for their pools. You can look at this aerator/fountain for inspiration!

zea3 ...thanks for the look at your fountain... it looks great! Thanks for the support with my ability to work with PVC. I bought a 1 1/2 union socket coupling today because when I wanted to clean my filter element I had to unscrew it from my inlet pvc pipe. Replacing tape at the outlet of my filter everytime I want to get the filter off would be a pain.This includes unsrewing the whole filter while holding the PVC pipe in the other hand. MY BAD! :hammer: I'll install the coupling today!!! I was thinking of using my old intex pump for a water fountain in the middle of the pool using PVC creating a square with drilled holes and a T fitting in the middle of one side. Bring the pipe straight up about four feet and an elbow and another 7 foot pipe to the edge of the pool with an elbow going back down 4 feet attaching it to a clapped PVC pipe connected to to top wall of the pool and hose from my pump.That way you can be in the water while it pumps OR I can do it the easy way and have the fountain pump from the edge instead like yours that looks like it works just great! :)

Attachments

• 183818[1] (2).jpg
    183818[1] (2).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 395
I would love to take credit for the fountain on that link, but it belongs to nauidvr1! I have a pvc fountain I bought from a pool store that I could have made for half the price if I had the patience to do it.

Sounds like you have a good plan for a fountain for your pool. They really do help cool the water. Even just standing under the fountain feels so much cooler!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.