CH at 900ppm. Should I be concerned?

May 1, 2009
Palm Springs
The CH level in my pool has been steadily creeping up since last summer. It's now at 900ppm. The water is perfectly balanced otherwise and I'm not experiencing any problems with cloudiness or scaling. Should I be concerned?

Currently I'm at:
TC 3.5
pH 7.3
TA 60
CYA 30
borate 40ppm

Last June the CH was at 250 ppm. I have a Liquidator and use only household bleach to chlorinate. The fill water comes in at 80ppm CH. I am in the desert, so there is a lot of evaporation and refill, but I'm surprised that the CH would get this high. I hate to drain & refill the pool because its perfect otherwise. Any advice or suggestions? BTW, its a white plaster pool.

Are you sure that is accurate? How are you testing?

With fill water of only 80, that doesn't make sense to me (and I am pretty "involved" with CH issues :cool: ). I can't remember the last time I was involved with a pool with the CH levels over 600 ppm!

Do not drain and refill now, if that is what you decide to do! The weather is too hot and you will run the risk of your plaster delaminating. That level is way out of "acceptable" range (you should be between 200-400 ppm for plaster), so it is good that you are paying attention! Even with the huge amount of evaporation that you get, it still seems like something is off on the time frame from last June to now.

No, trust your results. They will be way more accurate than the pool store!

Just a crazy swing, which led me to ask. It would take a whole lot of fill water (at 80 ppm) to do what you are saying is happening in such a short time!

My friend, whose fill water is not high in CH has a CH of 700. This is from the pool guy throwing in Cal Hypo for months/years. BTW.... no CYA either. I brought that up to 50 for her.

Her TA was 60 so we left it at that until I can get some time to get over there, let out water and refill, and adjust. At present, her CSI is 0.09 which indicates to me that it is okay in the short run. pH stays pretty much at 7.5. Her plaster is white and very old, and started popping plaster a few years ago, which pool guy patched. Patches are holding. I have no idea how much calcium scaling she has; maybe little, maybe a lot. I had her move the Cal Hypo to the garage!!!! Pool guy comes over several times a week now and adds bleach for her. It was 5 when I had her check it a couple of hours ago. This was after pool guy blindly added 182 oz bleach this a.m. She's battling mustard algae so this week I'm going over to let out some water, adjust, then start the MA shock process. I'm selling her my Polaris 280, reconditioned with lots of new part since last year and just installed bearings, with a bunch of bags, my booster pump, with new motor last year, for a ridiculously low price (her booster pump is squealing and her Polaris is unusable right now - she's using my old Aquabot) AND I'm going to threaten her with yanking them all out if she doesn't spend 5 minutes a day on the pool. :hammer:

I've been trying to go over there for weeks but just haven't had the time.

gg=alice

simicrintz said:
Are you sure that is accurate? How are you testing?

With fill water of only 80, that doesn't make sense to me (and I am pretty "involved" with CH issues :cool: ). I can't remember the last time I was involved with a pool with the CH levels over 600 ppm!

Do not drain and refill now, if that is what you decide to do! The weather is too hot and you will run the risk of your plaster delaminating. That level is way out of "acceptable" range (you should be between 200-400 ppm for plaster), so it is good that you are paying attention! Even with the huge amount of evaporation that you get, it still seems like something is off on the time frame from last June to now.

Has anyone been throwing Cal Hypo in the pool, for "shocking", etc. See my post above.

gg=alice

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. Just had the water tested at the pool store. According to their test, CH is at 400ppm! Is it possible that my test chemicals have gone stale and are giving me a false reading? I have a TF test kit. The test chems. are about a year old.

We just finished a pool that had CH of 690. The pool had also just received an in pool acid wash (they lowered the pH down to 0; it is a PebbleSheen pool) and the folks wanted to address their high CH levels. We let the system run for longer than usual, and came back to a 50 ppm CH pool :shock: Ended up going to the pool store to buy some calcium chloride, and the guy behind the counter looked at us like we had three heads, asking for this in So. California! The bag was so old that it looked like Moses carried it across the Red Sea when he parted it! I think he felt bad, since he gave us 15% off!

Did you finally get an accurate reading on your CH? Just wondering how you are making out with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.