Calcium Hardness test K-2006

Jun 11, 2010
Trying to get my pool clear. Cloudy right now, been fighting algae. I can see to the shallow end, and probably 4 feet of visibility before its to cloudy to see the bottom.

HTH 6-Way Strips claim Total Hardness is around 200-400
When I run the K-2006 test:

25 ml sample
20 drops of R-0010
5 drops of R-0011L- On swirling, it turns purple instead of red.

It mentions that if the sample turns purple, instead of blue then add extra titrate(R-0012) at the beginning, but I'm not even getting to that step, not seeing the red to start adding R-0012. If I add R-0012 at the beginning, I still get Purple isntead of red.

Any help would be appreciated!

First year trying to open a pool, just moved into the house in November. Believe its a vinyl pool.

16x32 Inground Pool

FC=3.8 (added shock, will re-check in a couple hours and add bleach)
CC=.2
PH=7.2
TA=110
CYA= was 0, added stabilizer 6/14

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are trying to follow the fading endpoint instructions. This means that you need to add a few drops of R-0012 before adding the R-0010 and the R-0011L and then continue with the test.

Before addressing CH, you should complete the shocking process for your pool. Calcium hardness is something that you can deal with after getting your pool cleared.

The pool surfaces, if it's vinyl, will have a smooth, somewhat slippery feel and should be unmistakeable from a maasonry pool which will feel like cement. Can you confirm which one you have? Do you have tile at the waterline?

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are trying to follow the fading endpoint instructions. This means that you need to add a few drops of R-0012 before adding the R-0010 and the R-0011L and then continue with the test.

Before addressing CH, you should complete the shocking process for your pool. Calcium hardness is something that you can deal with after getting your pool cleared.

Thanks, I added R-0012 before that R-0010 like you said, worked, CH of 225
duraleigh said:
The pool surfaces, if it's vinyl, will have a smooth, somewhat slippery feel and should be unmistakeable from a maasonry pool which will feel like cement. Can you confirm which one you have? Do you have tile at the waterline?

It is Vinyl. No tile.
salp said:
By chance, do you have a water softener system on your house?

I do not think so, I receive City Water if thats related.

This is an 8 foot deep end pool, I see alot of people mentioning drainage at the bottom, is that standard? Will I have one? I cannot see the bottom due to cloudiness, and I didn't think to look last August when I was looking at the house.

I think I had beaten the Algae thing. Its a cloudy Blue.

I'll do a FC loss test tonight.

If I choose to swim in the cloudy water later, is everything up to par?

It is Vinyl. No tile.
The CH test them becomes irrelevant but glad you got it to work.

I think I had beaten the Algae thing. Its a cloudy Blue.

I'll do a FC loss test tonight.
You have not yet finished shocking. I would skip the FC loss test and bring the pool back to shock value until...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Recheck "How to shock your pool in Pool School" and get #1 satisfied before you allow the chlorine to drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.