Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Labeling Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Labeling Valves

My new setup has three 3-way valves. What is the traditional/or best way to label them to avoid confusion. They aren't in a line, they are at different angles and orientations so no matter how I try to label them it seems confusing. Do you label the pipe the handle tail points to as ON? Or the pipe the "off" tab points to as OFF? What about in between (balancing) positions

For example, on the suction side, the valve looks like this --| The skimmer pipe is to the left, the pump pipe is down and the vac pipe is up. When the skimmer is selected the handle points down. When the vac is selected the handle tail points to the the right where there is no pipe to label.

On the return side, I have two valves in series, and that is where it gets very confusing. How do you do yours?
    33' above ground pool, 52" deep, about 27500 g
    sand filter w/zeobrite

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Labeling Valves

I prefer to label the pipes that the valve is attached to. You can also put a small arrow on the valve pointer (opposite the handle) to avoid the handle confusion.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are some pictures of how I've labeled my valves. Sharpie used by builder wore off quick and so I bought some sheets of letters from the hardware store and they're worked great for about 8 years. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26' x 13' freeform 10K in-ground w/quartz finish, attached spa, 36" sheer descent waterfall, 2hp sta-rite pump, sta-rite S8M150 cartridge filter, 400K BTU sta-rite natural gas heater and Jandy Aqualink RS-8 controller. Sunny Orlando.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, I think it is the semantics that is getting me. I like to think of the valves in terms of which features I want to turn ON. The valves seem to be set up for you to think of them in terms of what you want to turn OFF, and assume that feature is ON in the other two positions. Don't know why I can't get my head around that.....maybe I need to go brunette.

Thanks for the pics
    sand filter w/zeobrite

5. Back To Top    #5

It was a little tricky for me too at first. In the upper picture the spa jets are off and the spa return has only a small amount of water going to it (close to off), which sends most of the return water to the waterfall and pool returns, with the pool returns getting slightly more water than the waterfall. In the lower picture the main drain is completely off so that the water going to the pump is split between the pool cleaner and the skimmer, with the skimmer pulling slightly more water than the pool cleaner.
    26' x 13' freeform 10K in-ground w/quartz finish, attached spa, 36" sheer descent waterfall, 2hp sta-rite pump, sta-rite S8M150 cartridge filter, 400K BTU sta-rite natural gas heater and Jandy Aqualink RS-8 controller. Sunny Orlando.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just wrote on the pipes with a magic marker. I only have two three-way valves. One is in, one is out. The sides are spa and pool. The handle points to whichever one I want to use. I blend them, and after some experimentation, I put yellow paint marks where I want each valve to be. One on the handle, one on the valve body. So when I use the spa, I turn both valves to spa, then start the heater. When I'm done, shut off the heater and put the valves back to the usual position. The yellow paint makes it easy to do in the dark.[attachment=0:3rce1jei]Dsc00780.jpg[/attachment:3rce1jei]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Miranda, I see pics like these on here and my head spins too. The only valves I ever use are on/off, so I've always said to myself 'I hope all these people have those things labeled!'
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

8. Back To Top    #8

COLOR CODING!!!! I CAN wrap my head around that and I have some paint markers. I think I will go with your plan, Richard.
    sand filter w/zeobrite