Adding step to existing spa

ginger

Jun 12, 2010
I have a question regarding steps in a spa. I just bought a home with a large pool and spa combination. The problem is that the spa has no step! Apparently, one has to sit down on the edge, swing legs over the side, and lower oneself into the spa. Not great, but do-able. The problem will be getting out of the spa, however! Having to climb out on my knees presents a big problem for me and my roommate. Neither one of us has good knees and getting up from all fours is tough, too.

So here's my question: is it possible to add a step to an already existing gunite spa? If so, would it be terribly expensive? Could it damage the integrity of the pool, making it more likely to leak? Does anyone have any suggestions that might work in the meantime? I've considered putting a concrete block on the bench, but I'm not sure that would really work.

Thanks for any help!

Ginger

Ginger, I'm not an expert but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible. To do it right, I think it would require a re-plastering of the spa. You could chip out the old plaster (maybe just in that area?), pour a new concrete step, and plaster over it. In the meantime, I think a temporary step could be an effective, if not very aesthetically pleasing, solution. I hope that helps.

Welcome to TFP, by the way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.