Squeeling pool pump

Jul 4, 2008
NJ USA
I turned on my 3/4 HP Speck pool pump and i heard Squeeling sound for about 5 seconds .It then the sound went away, also , I have noticed small amout of water present under the motor (electrical ) part of the pump i tightend all the bolts and it still leaks a bid , it is very small amount of water which i suspect leaks out only when the pump is on. The pump is 5 years old. I don`t loose water from the pump itself when its off . The view container is always full of water. Can anyone shed some light on this ??? what do i need to do

From your description you need new bearings and a shaft seal. If you're not comfortable changing the bearings and seal your local pool store should be able to do it for you. A local motor shop might do it. Or you could always ask a handy friend. :)

You do realize of course, that quality replacement bearings are exactly the same as OEM bearings, and often better. The biggest issue with bearing replacement is the incorrect handling and installation of the new bearings. If the installation is done with quality bearings by someone that knows what they're doing, they will last as long or longer than originals. It's a very good idea to always buy double sealed bearings for the replacements.

If you are at all handy, you should be able to handle the bearing/seal replacement yourself. Its a straightforward process, that you can complete with basic tools. I did mine last weekend, its about a 2 hour job. Total cost for my job was $12 for the shaft seal + $6 apiece for 2 bearings. I wouldn't expect to double the life of your pump this way, but its a cheap/easy way to get an extra year or two.

I might just try it ,,,with world cup this month i am busy watching the games. another thing i notice today was that i see Bubbles in the veiw cover of the pump as the pump was working ,not sure , but could it have somthing to do with the leaking seal and shaft thing?? :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:goodjob:

I've been meaning to post a bearing replacement tutorial...just haven't got around to it, but let me know if I can help.

The bubbles in the view cover will likely not be caused by the shaft seal, there usually is a separate gasket for the cover that could leak air, you should be able to see it when you remove the cover.

jdealmeida said:
Hello
I noticed this thread and was considering a similar repair. However i noticed the armature and rotor shaft are rusty. Is this an issue to be concerned about i.e. just buy a new motor?

That all depends on the extent of the rust. What I generally do is run some fine sandpaper along the shaft and rotor to remove any surface rust. If your motor has a casing on the rotor (white component in the picture below) and is rusting I would consider motor replacement. If that rotor is compromised by rust the centrifugal force will eventually cause pieces of the rotor to contact the stator coils, causing a catastrophic failure.

The below motor had some superficial shaft rust - which I removed with some steel wool

8ede8f

1010997.jpg

Where in NJ? There's a place on Route 22 West in Green Brook that just repairs and sells electric motors that I have used for decades. I don't know the name, I just drive there. Sorry. Big sign close to Dim Sum place.

I've never seen replacement bearing last very long.
If replacement bearings fail prematurely, it is most likely an installation-related problem. Dirt, misalignment, improper handling, lack of lubrication, or bad technique is what kills most bearings. A properly installed bearing in a properly designed application should last a long time, whether installed in the factory or field.

The pool is not going to be used for a few days i coverd it up with my Solar cover to keep the leaves out and put in 2 gal. of Bleach . I was wondering should i keep the pump on or should i turn it off for the few days the pool is not being used???

Hi Frost.Mom, went to NH and back, pool was fine , more than i can say for some of my plants somone over watered them and two of my Persian Shields drowned. any way ..... i can not keep the PH at 7.2 to 7.6 range it keeps falling to 6.8 iam still using the 3" chlorine tablets for which i can say keeps the pool nice and clear not like last couple of years(greeneeee) What do i to do ?? :hammer: add more Mule powder :grrrr: :blah: I love these icons . As for the pump is still running good :shock: i did buy the seal for it, but still sitting in the closet.. where it belongs iam still busy with the World Cup ya know. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.