Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Squeeling pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Squeeling pool pump

I turned on my 3/4 HP Speck pool pump and i heard Squeeling sound for about 5 seconds .It then the sound went away, also , I have noticed small amout of water present under the motor (electrical ) part of the pump i tightend all the bolts and it still leaks a bid , it is very small amount of water which i suspect leaks out only when the pump is on. The pump is 5 years old. I don`t loose water from the pump itself when its off . The view container is always full of water. Can anyone shed some light on this ??? what do i need to do
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Squeeling pool pump

From your description you need new bearings and a shaft seal. If you're not comfortable changing the bearings and seal your local pool store should be able to do it for you. A local motor shop might do it. Or you could always ask a handy friend.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanx for the good news , is there a possibility of somthing other than that , from the sound of it this could cost me a bit
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    NJ USA

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually bearings and the seal kit is relatively cheap. You should be able to get it repaired for $100 or less.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I've never seen replacement bearing last very long. IMHO it's best to save up for a new motor and seal.

6. Back To Top    #6

You do realize of course, that quality replacement bearings are exactly the same as OEM bearings, and often better. The biggest issue with bearing replacement is the incorrect handling and installation of the new bearings. If the installation is done with quality bearings by someone that knows what they're doing, they will last as long or longer than originals. It's a very good idea to always buy double sealed bearings for the replacements.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

http://www.armatureworks.com/

They're the only people in town that change and sell them. They will even tell you the same thing I said.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanx Guys and Galls , This Armature work place is in Ga. am in NJ , i find a place around here maybe i can do it myself with pliers and wornout screw driver.
    NJ USA

9. Back To Top    #9

If you are at all handy, you should be able to handle the bearing/seal replacement yourself. Its a straightforward process, that you can complete with basic tools. I did mine last weekend, its about a 2 hour job. Total cost for my job was $12 for the shaft seal + $6 apiece for 2 bearings. I wouldn't expect to double the life of your pump this way, but its a cheap/easy way to get an extra year or two.
    80's 25,000G steel/vinyl Grecian - Hayward 1HP SuperPump, sand filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

I might just try it ,,,with world cup this month i am busy watching the games. another thing i notice today was that i see Bubbles in the veiw cover of the pump as the pump was working ,not sure , but could it have somthing to do with the leaking seal and shaft thing??
    NJ USA

11. Back To Top    #11

I've been meaning to post a bearing replacement tutorial...just haven't got around to it, but let me know if I can help.

The bubbles in the view cover will likely not be caused by the shaft seal, there usually is a separate gasket for the cover that could leak air, you should be able to see it when you remove the cover.

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello
    I noticed this thread and was considering a similar repair. However i noticed the armature and rotor shaft are rusty. Is this an issue to be concerned about i.e. just buy a new motor?

13. Back To Top    #13

well other than just looking at the slow leak form bottom of the motor some place I have not done anything about it. hope it last me this season if not hope it last till after the world cup
    NJ USA

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jdealmeida
    Hello
    I noticed this thread and was considering a similar repair. However i noticed the armature and rotor shaft are rusty. Is this an issue to be concerned about i.e. just buy a new motor?
    That all depends on the extent of the rust. What I generally do is run some fine sandpaper along the shaft and rotor to remove any surface rust. If your motor has a casing on the rotor (white component in the picture below) and is rusting I would consider motor replacement. If that rotor is compromised by rust the centrifugal force will eventually cause pieces of the rotor to contact the stator coils, causing a catastrophic failure.

The below motor had some superficial shaft rust - which I removed with some steel wool

15. Back To Top    #15

Where in NJ? There's a place on Route 22 West in Green Brook that just repairs and sells electric motors that I have used for decades. I don't know the name, I just drive there. Sorry. Big sign close to Dim Sum place.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanx guys there is place in East brunswick which repairs motors too , i ll try to fix it myself see if i can get rid of the nose and the leak. I bought the seal today. Thanx for the photo
    NJ USA

17. Back To Top    #17

I've never seen replacement bearing last very long.
    If replacement bearings fail prematurely, it is most likely an installation-related problem. Dirt, misalignment, improper handling, lack of lubrication, or bad technique is what kills most bearings. A properly installed bearing in a properly designed application should last a long time, whether installed in the factory or field.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

18. Back To Top    #18

The pool is not going to be used for a few days i coverd it up with my Solar cover to keep the leaves out and put in 2 gal. of Bleach . I was wondering should i keep the pump on or should i turn it off for the few days the pool is not being used???
    NJ USA

19. Back To Top    #19

How many days?
    Can you use a timer to run for a few hours each day...
    (hows the pump situation? all fixed?)
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi Frost.Mom, went to NH and back, pool was fine , more than i can say for some of my plants somone over watered them and two of my Persian Shields drowned. any way ..... i can not keep the PH at 7.2 to 7.6 range it keeps falling to 6.8 iam still using the 3" chlorine tablets for which i can say keeps the pool nice and clear not like last couple of years(greeneeee) What do i to do ?? add more Mule powder I love these icons . As for the pump is still running good i did buy the seal for it, but still sitting in the closet.. where it belongs iam still busy with the World Cup ya know.
    NJ USA