SWG compatibility with heater

Mule

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2010
I am about to install a Circupool RJ45 SWG to my pool. Are there any issues with the heater and the salt? The heater is a Teledyne Laars Series II ESG. I am in the process of replacing the Pilot Generator on the heater...thanks for the info in another post that helped me isolate the problem (I think). I am a new guy to the pool world and its a steep, deep learning curve. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the welcome! I thought that I had read that a different filter or a modification was required for the heater.

Second Question: Is there a way (hopefully an easy way) to use the sand filter/SWCG for the portable, stand-alone
hot tub? I am about to embark on moving a bunch of plumbing around and moving the timers and placing the
controls in a more accessible area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am not sure how to include my info in each post, but here it is:
Dark plaster in-ground, 28K gallons, Triton II sand fliter (I think I am due for a sand replacement, backwash doesn't keep
the pressure down for long), Teledyne Laars Series 2 ESG heater (replacing pilot generator),
Polaris 280 cleaner (one wheel just broke off this guy), about to install Circupool RJ45 SWCG, one skimmer doesn't work (any
suggestions for snaking this or determining why it doesn't work?), using 12mil bubble wrap solar cover, Sundance 500 gal
hot tub using baguacil (not sure if I'm happy with this system yet or not).
Thanks for any inputs, I've never had a pool and it has been quite a bit of work getting it running.
Mule

I don't believe it's possible to use your pool plumbing with a portable spa. I mean, it's probably possible, but would not be worth the effort. Using a big SWG like that in a spa would add waaay too much FC as well.

As for your sand filter, have you tried resettling the sand bed? Here's an excerpt from Pool School,
Sand does occasionally need a more thorough cleaning than back-washing alone can do. Perhaps once a year, I recommend opening up the filter, sticking a garden hose in the sand and turning it on. Let the water flush out all the crud that has collected in the sand until the overflow is clean. You might have to CAREFULLY break up the sand with something like a broom handle if it is clumped together! (I said CAREFULLY so you don't damage the laterals!) If there is evidence of scale buildup then an acidic sand cleaner might be in order!

What happens when you try to use your non-working skimmer?

To add that info to your signature, go to User Control Panel (upper left of screen), profile, edit signature.

MITS, Thanks for the responses.
I figured it would probably be too much work to use the SWG on the spa, but it just seems
like such a waste not to. I think I may try the BBB system on the hot tub.
When I try to use the skimmer, nothing happens. I have the valve for that skimmer closed now.
I had a pool company open the pool for me and I followed him around trying to learn what I could.
He put the hose with an attachment thatsealed the skimmer into the non-working skimmer. The
water backfilled his attachment andit popped. The water in that skimmer is dirty. It doesn't appear
to be affecting my water (although I seem to be using a lot of Chlorine). When I bought the house,
the seller said that he would not fix that skimmer. He had previously repaired the other skimmer,
which involved breaking up some concrete and, I guess, replacing some of the plumbing. I thought
if I tried to snake it, I would either be able to unblock it, or at least be able to tell approximately
how far the blockage/break is. Thanks again for the help. Mule

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.