Green deep end :(

May 30, 2009
Columbia, TN
So a few weeks ago, my water was well balanced after aggressive shocking as per the process we all know and love! It was still cloudy, but I have determined it to be a filter issue, which I am going to open it up and clean it tomorrow.

A week ago, my parents and I pressure washed the concrete surrounding the pool. Of course, even though we were very cautious and tried our best to keep it out of the pool, some of the dirty water got in the pool. Ever since then, the pool has had a green tint to it. Thus, I began the shocking process. I have been even more aggressive with it this go around, bringing back up to shock level about 5-6 times a day. I have had an overnight FC loss of 1 or less for the past three nights. Also, my CC's have remained at 0.5 or less throughout the entire shocking process. My only problem - the water still looks green! I can see the bottom on the shallow end, which does not look green; it seems the green tint and cloudiness is concentrated in the deep end. How can this be??? I am truly at a loss.......

Please help me have sparkling water again!

My current numbers are:

FC - 13
CC - 0.5
TA - 90
Ph -7.5
CYA - 30
CH - 130

Thanks for any help!

Sounds like metal in the water. It's actually green everywhere, even in the shallow end. You see it more in the deep end because you are looking through more water.
The only thing is that you said the water is still a bit cluody. With metals, you just see the tint, not cloudy. But...you can rule in or out metals by adding a sequesterant. Go to walmart and get some HTH metal control. It's actually very good and pretty cheap. Pour 1 quart in the pool and leave the pump on. If its metal, it should clear the tint in 5-6 hours. If it's not, the only thing your out is the 10 bucks for the metal out.

Richard320 said:
How's the circulation in the deep end? Is the main drain pulling water? Maybe you have a valve set wrong, or the diverter flap, or maybe you need a diverter and haven't got one.

I do have a main drain in the deep end that is pulling water correctly. I am not sure what a diverter is, or if I have one :?

bk406 said:
Sounds like metal in the water. It's actually green everywhere, even in the shallow end. You see it more in the deep end because you are looking through more water.
The only thing is that you said the water is still a bit cluody. With metals, you just see the tint, not cloudy. But...you can rule in or out metals by adding a sequesterant. Go to walmart and get some HTH metal control. It's actually very good and pretty cheap. Pour 1 quart in the pool and leave the pump on. If its metal, it should clear the tint in 5-6 hours. If it's not, the only thing your out is the 10 bucks for the metal out.

I will try the metal control. Thanks!

I cleaned my sand filter with the hose pipe as was suggested. I vacuumed the entire pool, hoping that would help. While I have noticed a slight difference, here is my pool now.

[attachment=1:3myzfngm]pool 6.21.10.jpg[/attachment:3myzfngm]

[attachment=0:3myzfngm]pool2.06.21.10.JPG[/attachment:3myzfngm]

As mentioned before, I shocked after pressure washing and held FC overnight with less than 1 ppm lost for 3 nights in a row. Also, my CC's have consistently been 0.5 or less, with the solution turning such a slight pink that I had to really strain to decide if the color changed at all. I am still at a loss, and would really love to be enjoying my pool in this beautiful weather!!

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• pool 6.21.10.jpg
    pool 6.21.10.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 78
  • pool2.06.21.10.JPG
    pool2.06.21.10.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 78
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.