Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Return gasket orientation

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Return gasket orientation

high folks, I spent quite a bit of time searching the forum for this answer, but I did not find it, so sorry if this has been covered. My delema is that I am putting a new liner in tomorrow morning and I dont have much time for an answer. I even googled and came up short.

I have an above ground pool and a new Hayward return fitting. The fitting has 2 rubber gaskets and 1 cork gasket. I have no idea what the correct orientation is for this fitting? 1 rubber in the pool, then 1 rubber outside against the pool then the cork between the rubber and locknut?

I hope I get a response within the next 14 hrs,,, or I will be guessing,,, thanks all
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Return gasket orientation

I just went and looked at mine and the rubber gasket is on the inside of the pool and the cork gasket is on the outside. That leaves the second rubber gasket between the liner and the wall.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats an interesting config,,, from the outside, you have locknut, cork gasket, pool wall,,, then you go to the inside which goes pool wall, rubber gasket, liner, rubber gasket,,, anybody else? seems odd to me to have a rubber gasket against the pool wall with the liner sanwiched between 2 rubber gaskets,,, but hey ,, what do I know,,, thats why im asking lol
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe it's there just to ensure there's no water leakage behind the liner. After all, that's the last place you want to have water going!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks,,, 2hrs till lift off if anyone else has another opinion. Odd thing to me is,,, when they originally put the pool in, they never put that rubber gasket between the liner and pool wall,, they had a rubber one in the pool and the cork and rubber were on the outside with the lock nut,,, maybe they did it wrong also? Who knows,,,
    15,000 gallons
    Sand
    IG
    Vinyl