Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size SWG?

I'm anxious to convert to a SWG, but I want a high level of confidence that whatever one I settle on will be large enough without going overboard with a system way larger than I need. My 10K pool gets full sun and its HOT in Orlando right now, and getting 2+ inches of rain more than once a week is not unusual. My pool is screened and so I don't get a lot of debris, but during the summer it has kids in it most days of the week for an hour or more. I've recently converted from pucks to jugs , but obtaining an exact measure of the chlorine demand is a bit tricky with the heavy rains and heat we've been getting. I'm guessing the pool consumes 24oz of 10.5% on an average day. It seems like the rule of thumb is to go with a system rated at twice the size of the pool, but then all the other factors come into play, such as pump run time. Responses from those with SWGs you're using, %output, pump run time, etc. would really help.

Thanks,
    Tiger85
    26' x 13' freeform 10K in-ground w/quartz finish, attached spa, 36" sheer descent waterfall, 2hp sta-rite pump, sta-rite S8M150 cartridge filter, 400K BTU sta-rite natural gas heater and Jandy Aqualink RS-8 controller. Sunny Orlando.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What size SWG?

I like the Aqua Rite SWG system with 40K gallon cell. Its always better to have a cell larger than you pool gallons/vol so the cell doesn't need to operate as much and will last longer
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Tiger85 -

I've got the Hayward SwimPure Plus with the T-Cell 9 for pools up to 25K. Had it installed in May 2009 and love it. My pool is a bit larger than yours but this size unit is perfect. Here in Florida, I prefer to maintain a higher FC level. My average output % during our sweltering months of heat is btw 40-50% . That keeps my FC level at about 6.0.
    15x30 IG vinyl liner pool, pool cage
    Hayward S-220T high rate sand filter and Hayward super pump w/1hp motor
    Hayward SwimPure Plus SWG
    Polaris 380 cleaner and booster pump

4. Back To Top    #4

NWMN Mom

With 10K lakes, there must be one around the corner! But I completely understand the convenience factor of the pool.
    I'll be flying waaay up north over the 4th to the UP of Michigan. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be warm.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks jagfan. That's good info. Do you know the rated chlorine output of the T-cell 9? I'm guessing that it is about .9lbs/day.
    26' x 13' freeform 10K in-ground w/quartz finish, attached spa, 36" sheer descent waterfall, 2hp sta-rite pump, sta-rite S8M150 cartridge filter, 400K BTU sta-rite natural gas heater and Jandy Aqualink RS-8 controller. Sunny Orlando.

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's info from Hayward that notes 1.45 lbs per day but they don't specify running hours, etc.

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/p...?ProductID=173

7. Back To Top    #7

I took the 1.45 lbs as being for the T-cell 15 (up to 40K), and so I estimated the T-cell 9 (up to 25K) at .9 lbs.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan
    Here's info from Hayward that notes 1.45 lbs per day but they don't specify running hours, etc.
    Any numbers given for chlorine generation is assumed full output for the unit in question. In this case, it will make 1.45 pounds in 24 hours of continuous operation.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jagfan
    NWMN Mom

With 10K lakes, there must be one around the corner! But I completely understand the convenience factor of the pool.
    I'll be flying waaay up north over the 4th to the UP of Michigan. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be warm.
    Unfortunately, most of extreme NW Minnesota is the one area without ANY or very few lakes so we do have to drive a distance to find one. However, this year we seem to be having monsoon season so perhaps we will have a lake nearby soon? It's been cold too in the whole northern tier of states so hope you willhave nice weather finally when you travel to the UP
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger85
    I'm anxious to convert to a SWG, but I want a high level of confidence that whatever one I settle on will be large enough without going overboard with a system way larger than I need.
    Tiger,
    I'm starting my 4th year with a Hayward/Goldline Aqua Troll HP. It is recommended for all Above Ground Pools up to 18K gals. My pool is 16.5K gals. I have not had an algae outbreak since I started using it. I do not baby sit my pool daily. You can image I am loving it. And no doubt it is the best money I spent since buying the pool.

I run it at 30% output. My pool is in full sun morning to night. The Chlorine stays consistent at 3.

You will love whichever one you choose.

Steve
    -ePoolUser Steve

27'x52" AG, 16,500 gal. Aqua Trol HP SWG,
    2hp pump, 150 sqft 100GPH Cartridge Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Zodiac Vac
    Installed July 2006

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks Steve, excellent info. . Now to bring that CYA level down from having used all those pucks .

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger85
    Now to bring that CYA level down from having used all those pucks .
    My CYA was over 100. So prior to the SWG installation I drained about 1/3 of the pool water 2 or 3 times (can't remember exactly) and that brought the CYA down to a reasonable number.