Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Laptop/Netbook While in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Laptop/Netbook While in Pool

Does anybody do this? Like, not necessarily floating on a raft with the laptop, but having it off to side or on a towel on top of the stairs. I figure if I'm the only person in the pool, this shouldn't be much of an issue unless it's starts raining. It would be nice to set up the computer and watch movies while in the water. What do you think? Am I playing with fire?
    11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Laptop/Netbook While in Pool

Are you a gambling man? This is not the first time this has come up here...

a-couple-of-tips-i-thought-everybody-knew-anybody-got-some-t1722-40.html#p25324
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as you can afford to lose the laptop, and your data is backed up, you should be fine.
    Funny that you'd be more worried about rain water than that chlorinated stuff all around...
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as your need to compute doesn't exceed your capacity to replace the laptop, I see no problem. You are braver than I am.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you FLIPPIN MAD?!!! Leave the laptop, work, gaming, blogging, etc OUT of the pool - IN the pool is for unencumbered ZEN
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmm... Works for Beyonce, but then again, I can't afford another laptop. Thanks for setting me straight!

11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm guessing she can afford a replacement 'puter for every drop of water in that pool....
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

It's all in how you power your appliances while in your pool.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

9. Back To Top    #9

That picture is hilarious :lol
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

10. Back To Top    #10

If you could afford it you could get a Toughbook.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, I have a little industrial keyboard that is impervious to spills and a trackball that is the same. I, also, had some old industrial, all-in-one computers that are pretty impervious. They weigh a ton. I used those in my big greenhouse.

You could always go with a water resistant keyboard and track ball, with extension cables, with notebook video fed into a larger flat-screen TV or monitor positioned somewhat away from pool. Seems like a lot of trouble though.

There are some Netbooks that are spill resistant, keyboard only.

How about an iPad in a big baggie?

The older Fujitsu Pen Tablets have foul weather/rugged enclosures. Fujitsu, also, put out spill resistant Laptops. You can find great deals on lots of things like this on eBay.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine