Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae is driving me nuts

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae is driving me nuts

I have been fighting green algae for the last two weeks getting somewhere but not fast.
    Pool 5000 gallon vinyl pool cartridge filter. I have been changing and washing filter twice a day until wednesday now only once a day pressure nt dropping much.
    Water test this is two days after adding 3 gallons of Chlorine bleach
    Free Chlorine 0.1 ppm
    Total Chlorine 0.4 ppm
    Combined Chlorine 0.4 ppm
    PH 7.0
    Hardness 230 PPM
    Alkalinity 0
    Cyanuric acid 15ppm

Two Days ago the Free Chlorine was 7.9.

Today i added 1.42 gallons of Chlorine and i am now adding 9 lbs Sodium Bicarbonate. I have some of the winter Algaecide should i add some of that to the mix or keep up with the Chlorine only?
    Removed allot of Algae in filter and other debree from pool. Just about no leaves. In the AM before brushing you can see the bottom of the pool but everything is still green.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Algae is driving me nuts

Read "how to shock" (link in my sig)

Organics in the water (algae) are consuming FC. You should test and add chlorine to get back to your shock FC level at least two or three times a day, and as often as every hour.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Shock levels must be maintained hourly if needed, Please read pool school topic about shocking your pool. Right now you are really chasing your tail.
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, i will read it now.