Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very high FC with 0% CC

1. Back To Top    #1

Very high FC with 0% CC

I'm somewhat confused this year. Last year was my first year with the pool (35,000 gal freeform vinyl). I check the levels every other day. The water was always perfect. Last years levels were:

FC - 5 to 6
    CC - 0
    PH 7.4 to 7.6
    TA 100-110
    CH - 40
    CYA - 40
    Salt - 3200
    Salt cell set at 65%
    Pump operates 8 hrs at HS and 16 hrs a LS

This year the pool was shocked on opening by the pool builder. However my FC is really high in the past two weeks it has gone from 8.5 to 15. The CC is still zero

My level today is

FC - 14
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.4
    TA - 80
    CH - 50
    CYA - 50
    Salt 3400
    Pump operates 8 hrs at HS and 16 hrs at LS

Yesterday I reduced the salt cell to 45% and the FC droped from 15 to 14. Due to the the colder weather (high 60's to mid 70's) no one has been in the pool for the past week or so.

Today I shut the salt cell down. (Super Chlorinate is turned "off"). I use Taylor K-2006.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Very high FC with 0% CC

What's the question?

The numbers look okay; you already turned down the SWG, so FC should drift down. Is the water cloudy or what?

You want 0 CC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard, Thanks for the reply. The water is crystal clear. I was just concerned with the really high FC numbers compared to last year when the cell was set at 65%.

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably just crept up a bit...colder weather...slightly more CYA and salt.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Houston, TX

Just keep an eye on your FC level, if it stays too high, reduce your SWG % a little more until you find the right spot.

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

6. Back To Top    #6
    South Carolina

It would be helpful to responders to see your pool and equipment specs listed in your signature.
    Go to User Control Panel (top left, under TFP logo), select profile, then edit sig.

Have you seen this Pool School article? pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Rockville, CA

You have already identified the possible reason for the difference in FC levels observed from one season to the next. A reduction in bather load will place less demand on FC. You also have a slightly higher CYA level this year that is reducing loss of chlorine to the sun. I would be willing to bet that if you brought your CYA level up to the minimum suggested by the manufacturer, you would reduce chlorine demand even further and could dial down the SWG a bit more. Just a thought.
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown