Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 60% drained pool & start-up chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

60% drained pool & start-up chemicals

Hi All

I have a super sub pump and just started draining 3/4 of the pool to reduce the CYA levels - it will be filling in less than 3 hours so I'd like to ask about the new chemicals I put in.

I just received the TF-100 today and already familiarized myself with all the tests on the old pool water.

My plan is to begin with 3 gallons of liquid CYA (with filter running) which I already have...
    Wait 24 hours with filter running entire time and then add...
    2 qts. of Muriatic Acid (diluted in water first) with filter running - wait 4 hours and then add...
    4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine 10% solution and after 12 hours...
    test all chems - esp CYA levels which no doubt will need to be raised

I'd like to hear from the experienced ones - thoughts / comments / advice?

Thank you for being such patient people :P
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster
    Pentair 320 Auto In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Filter, Century Magnatec 2 spd. motor, PB4 Booster Pump, Purex Triton Whisperflo Pump, Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 60% drained pool & start-up chemicals

What am I missing here? Why are you adding CYA after draining to get rid of CYA?
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Wait untill you have a good reading before doing anything like adding chems.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Svenpup and coloeb - you guys are right - I'll wait to get initial test readings and then go from there...
    Thanks for the clarity
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster
    Pentair 320 Auto In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Filter, Century Magnatec 2 spd. motor, PB4 Booster Pump, Purex Triton Whisperflo Pump, Polaris 380 Pool Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Finished draining nearly 80% of water from pool (commercial sub pump = 1 hr.) and have been filling for the last 24 hours. I probably won't get a reading until tomorrow morning since the fill won't be complete until tonight. It is hot here so the water is heating up as it fills. Rescued baby frog this morning.
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd like some input please - here are my new numbers after draining over 80% of the pool: (these numbers are from the TF-100 test kit)

FC: 1.5
    TC: 2.5
    CC: 1
    pH: 190
    CH: 180
    CYA: less than the tube can register
    Water is clear and clean of debris - color is more aqua than blue

Thank you
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh - and water temperature is 82 degrees
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

You need to check your pH reading. 190 doesn't make sense. Are you sure you didn't accidentally record ALK?

Your first step should be to adjust pH to around 7.2 or 7.4. Next, you have a choice. Either add the liquid CYA to around 40 ppm and shock, or shock first. The reason I say there is a choice is you will need to maintain higher chlorine levels to shock after you add the CYA. Go to pool school and look at the CYA/Chlorine tables to see what FC levels are required based on CYA levels.

Don't forget, you need to shock your pool (i.e. raise and maintain FC to shock levels) until CC is less than .5, your water is clear, and you pass the overnight FC loss test. Pool school has an article that describes the shock process if you are not familiar with it.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

9. Back To Top    #9

NCFlyers Fan,

You're right, I posted the wrong reading - the pH is 8.2+ -
    24,268 gal/DE/IG Plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

yup, lower the ph first... resume shocking, add CYA and adjust your FC levels accordingly.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com