Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to convert

1. Back To Top    #1

About to convert

Hi there. I've been reading this forum for a while and tonight will be my "conversion." Thanks to all who contribute here.

This is my 4th season with a 17k gal vinyl lined pool. My first two were a piece of cake until I scored a nice case of mustard algae at the end of season 2. When I opened last year I managed to get a good deal of staining, and that took me on a one year pool care journey that I hope I'll never repeat. Next time I will re-fill!

The good news is that now the stains are gone and the water is crystal clear. The bad news is that I spent a ton of money putting stuff into my pool that required me to put more stuff into my pool. That's the draw I had to this site.

So to start:

17k gallons
    South Carolina heat (we've already been over 100 degrees this week)
    FC = .5 (been using 2 Aqua Chem pucks in the skimmer)
    PH = 7.4
    Alk = high (170 I think)
    CYA = 90 but after reading the Taylor's test procedure online I'm going to test again before I shock . It may be higher.

After a visit to the poolcalculator I've got 8 182oz jugs of Great Value in the trunk. I'm going to shock it tonight for a 39ppm and then try to hold 8-10ppm FC by testing with my new Leslie's (Taylor) kit and adding bleach as needed. If I can't hold it then I'll hit her again. I would probably worry about the high CYA but right now I just want to get that FC up before the real heat (Jul-Aug) comes.

In my mind right now it is all about the bleach. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to convert

I recommend doing a partial drain and refill before you try to shock. With CYA of 90 (or higher) you are in for an uphill battle and LOTS of bleach. If your pool gets lots of intense sun you might shoot for CYA 50 ppm and your shock levels will be much lower.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: About to convert

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup
    I recommend doing a partial drain and refill before you try to shock. With CYA of 90 (or higher) you are in for an uphill battle and LOTS of bleach. If your pool gets lots of intense sun you might shoot for CYA 50 ppm and your shock levels will be much lower.
    Thanks. Yeh I know its high. Funny think is my local store recommended me adding stabilizer a couple of weeks ago. Another reason why I came looking here.

I'll test again before I do it and decide then, but so far May and June have been dry and scorching hot here. And my pool gets all day sunlight. So I figure I'll be putting in a lot of bleach anyway.