cloudy water

Aug 16, 2009
ok this is my first year to actually use BBB. I converted after swim season in the fall. Up until now my water has looked great. Now it is cloudy

FC.4.2
CC.0
PH 7.6....thats the hardest for me to read
TA 60
CYA50

1.Would the TA being low cause the pool to be cloudy?What should I bring it up too? the best I can tell is 90
2. What other things can cause a cloudy pool?
Thanks,
Deb

I have the TF-100 test kit. I didn't check the calcium(should I)? I added bleach last night to bring it FC6.Is it a problem that my FC dropped that much over night? I have CC reading of Zero

Thanks

High calcium can cause cloudiness in the right conditions, probably not what's going on, but can't be sure without a reading.

Based on your overnight loss, I'd suggest you actually do an overnight FC loss test. If you're not familiar, after the sun is off your pool, test FC and add enough chlorine to reach your target. Here's the important part: You need to test the FC again in one hour and record the result. In the morning, before the sun is on the pool you need to test FC again. If there is more than 1 ppm loss between the last nightly reading and the morning reading, you have organics in the water consuming chlorine and you need to shock.

You may want to refer to "How to Shock Your Pool" in Pool School.

If you're using liquid chlorine as your primary chlorine source and not having problems with your pH, I'm not sure you need to worry about your TA. I'm hoping other experts will give you better advice on this subject, but I wouldn't worry about that while you shock.

I think you just need to shock until you pass the overnight FC test and have less than .5 ppm CC. After that's done, you can address your TA, but if it were mine, I'd just leave it there unless some of the experts come along and make a different suggestion.

This cloudiness might not even be due to your chemistry, maybe it's filter related?

None of the tests you've noted seem terribly out of line with what they should be. FC of 4.2 is more than high enough.

I would have a look at the Calcium level if I had cloudiness that I couldn't explain. After that I would check filtration.

It could be filtering, but it seems that Debstar60 targeted FC 6 ppm last night and it was 4.2 ppm this morning. That's why I suggested doing the overnight FC loss test to make sure, but if it lost almost 2 ppm overnight, it's a sign the pool needs shocked. If the overnight test holds within 1 ppm, then a filter or calcium issue is possible.

FWIW, I think an overnight test tonight will help lead us down the right path.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming your water temp is about 85 F (just guessing) then your Saturation index is about -0.80 which is pretty far up on the scale as being aggressive (corrosive)

I'm not aware of a low Calcium level causing cloudy water directly but I might focus on bringing it up some if possible.

Your pools plaster might be dissolving before your eyes.

Hey Deb. :wave:

Did you perform the overnight loss test yet? If so remind me what you lost.

A CH of 40 is certainly possible. My fill water has a CH of 20. Low CH is not a problem for a vinyl pool only high CH is.

Let's start there and work forward. We'll get this cleared up for you.

Hi Bama,
Thanks for responding. I shocked to 20. Just tested at 10:30pm and it is still 20 so I will test again in the morning.I think I just needed to shock..I haven't done it this year. But I do have another question. We are leaving Sunday going on vacation,will be gone a week. My sister is going to check on the pool (I don't want any of that other Crud in my pool). Since she doesn't know how to test, what is a good guess as to how much bleach she should put it? I was thinking 182 oz every other day. Or is their a better way to tell?

This mornings readings 6:3am

FC16.5
CC.5

Looks like you lost 3.5 overnight. You need to shock.

Since you're leaving tomorrow is there anyway you can give your friend a crash course in testing just the FC using the FAS-DPD kit? If you could, she could test each evening and come here and we could tell her how much bleach to add to maintain shock till you get back. I think that would be your best bet.

I brought back up to shock level this morning....will it be ok to swim in today? I will try to get her to test for me. Why did it drop but the CC is.5? Water is still a little cloudy.When I used Baq I would have been pleased for it to look like this,but I'm used to a sparkly clear pool. :)

Thanks,
Deb

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.