Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How did my CC "suddenly" disappear?

1. Back To Top    #1

How did my CC "suddenly" disappear?

Ok, this stumps me. Did the old water test this a.m. with TF100. Got as follows:

FC------2 I know 3 to 5 is the range
    CC------2
    PH------7.6
    CYA-----40ish

So I go the pool calc and add in enough bleach just to raise FC to 10 for a test. An hour later I retested and came up with FC as 10 as expected, butttttttttttttt..................when i did the CC test again just for grins------------it was suddenly back to ZERO? Didn't even register! I know the shock level for my CYA is 16 and I came nowhere near close to that. What the???????? Will CC magically appear if you are below the recommended FC level for for CYA content? It sure magically disappeared in a hurry!

Any gurus wanna run an explanation by me on this?
    Thanks in advance.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How did my CC "suddenly" disappear?

Possible testing error?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Low FC levels often lead to CC. It only takes a little FC for CC to form in the first place, but it takes rather more FC to break down the CC. So it is common to get CC when your FC level is too low. CC will be broken down any time the FC level is reasonable, and more quickly the higher your FC level.

CC comes in several different forms. Some break down very quickly, others more slowly. It looks like all of yours was the quick to break down kind. (Or maybe Bama Rambler is right.)
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That's one of the few tests I can do that I consider myself "idiot proof" on! I had no idea that CC had different "forms". I just figured "bad" CC was "bad" CC. So you're saying that it is not unreasonable for that much extra chlorine to erase that CC in such a short period of time? Even well below shock level? It almost makes me think I shouldn't even bother to check for CC until I know my FC is in the proper range. This Texas pool in full sunlight all day is eatin' chlorine straight from the jug it seems. I need to give it a bigger straw and jack up my levels above the CYA/chlorine chart. Instead of the recommended 3-5 range, I'm gonna try and keep 5 as my bottom number using the same level of CYA. Probably raise my "add up to level" to 8 since I'm losing at least 3 ppm daily. Thanks for the input guys.
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Try raising your CYA level up to around 60. That should help reduce the amount of chlorine you are using daily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll give it a go on the CYA Jason, thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

I raised my CYA from 50 to 60 a couple of weeks ago when the temps and sun increased. This increases the top number in range so I target just a little above the top number with chlorine additions and it holds well; stays within range for two days, under normal bather load conditions. I don't have an SWG; rather "jug dump" bleach.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm taking your advice too gg. Lesson just learned on adding CYA--------DO NOT sprinkle in front of a return! Experimented with half of what I added to bring the levels up by adding in front of return. Looks real nice sittin' on the bottom of the dang pool! Will this hurt anything, or do I need to jump in and stir things up? Tried to stir it with the pool pole skimmer with crappy results.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd vacuum it up if I were you. That way it can sit in the filter and not hurt anything. It is a mild acid so it could possibly harm the liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Vacuumed as recommended! Thanks for the info Bama.