Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patching and repairing concrete for new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Patching and repairing concrete for new liner

I have some defects in the concrete floor of my pool that I need to resolve before putting in the new liner. I'd put them in these categories.

Large dips (2 inches)
    Loose concrete (thin top layer only)
    Three 1 inch holes in deep end constantly bubbling water into the pool

I have the vinyl patching cement and sidewalk cement (without rocks). I guess I've always thought that if you are patching with cement it is important to give the new concrete some way to grip the old concrete. In this case, however, I don't think the new concrete will have anywhere to go (I've read that some people use sand) so perhaps it doesn't matter. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Patching and repairing concrete for new liner

Sorry I can't help; this is a busy time of year for our pool pros but hopefully they'll stop by to help.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Southeast VA

You could ask some concrete companies. Since they pour the stuff all the time, I would think they would know the answer.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

Thank you for the pics!

You definitely wan to patch and fill the voids and rough areas! I prefer vermiculite to sand and cement or concrete - it's softer on the liner and water can pass through it. But, you already have a 'crete' floor, so the patch doesn't really make much difference.

Get a ~94 lb bag of Portland cement (type I or II) and a few buckets of mason's sand. Mix the cement and sand at a ratio of 2 parts cement to 1 part sand and mix it a little on the wet side, so that it feathers in better. You may need more material than I suggested, but let's start slow, rather than waste $

Allow the patches to set for at least 12 hours, then sweep the floor at least twice before installing the new liner!

If you need any tips on properly installing a liner, simply ask and I'll reply (Ive installed well over 1000 liners )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)