Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC pipe leak

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC pipe leak

Hi there, I recently noticed that the pipe leading from my pool, to the filter is leaking, most likely from a joint. I was thinking of fixing it with silicone, and was wondering if that is a good idea, and if this place would be good for silicones online[/url]
    25k gal IG Vinyl Liner, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5hp (model 340039), Hayward DE4820 Filter, Hayward SP-710XR50

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC pipe leak

Silicone would not fix your problem, do it correctly. Cut out the joint along with enough pipe to add collars . Dry fit first to be sure, then clean, prime and glue connections. Be sure to remove all the burrs from cutting, they can interfer with assymbly.
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

PVC is easy to patch, but here are a few tips:

Make sure to buy pressure type PVC and fittings, (DWV type fittings are shallower, cheaper, and designed for drain pipes).

For wet conditions you want to use the Blue type PVC cement labeled rain & shine, it will cure underwater, just be aware the working time is only a couple of seconds in hot weather, so coat the parts and stick together quickly.

For best results use a primer (either purple or clear), purple is the most common, but stains and is messy, it is required in some job sites where inspectors need to confirm primer was used, otherwise it is the same stuff.

When the damage is in a length of straight pipe, special telescoping repair fittings are available, these cost more than basic fittings, but are much quicker and easier to use. ($20-25 vs $5-7 in typical pool size pipe fittings). The hardest part is working in a mid section and having enough flexure of the line to get the couplings over both ends, often you will be forced to use a union fitting the screws apart in the middle (but requires accurate pipe length cuts), of an easier to work with, but more expensive telescoping fitting.

p.s. there are probably a lot of how to patch pvc pipe videos on youtube (it really is simple, cut out section with hack saw and replace with an assortment of fittings and pipes (elbows, couplers, threaded or slip fit, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

If the glue failed at the joint, replace the entire fitting!

We'll help you if you need a primer on working with PVC. Pics make it easier for us to 'see' what you're dealing with and enable us to give you a shopping list of things you'll need to buy in order to fix the problem
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)