Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intro- New pool - using Baquacil

1. Back To Top    #1

Intro- New pool - using Baquacil

Hi, I'm new to the group. I live in South Texas where having a pool is almost a must! Last year we had a 12' intex pool with salt water chlorine generator that we loved. We sold it and bought a 12' x 24' above ground pool. We just had it installed a few days ago and my husband decided to go with Baquacil instead of chlorine. I've been looking through the Bac section and it sounds like everyone hates it. Is there anyone who uses Baquacil and is happy with it?
    AGP 18'X33' 52" 16K Gal
    1 hp Hayward cartridge filter &
    In-Line Chlorinator
    Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intro- New pool - using Baquacil

Ive never used it, but have numerous friends that have tried. One even finally abandoned the pool & it's just sitting. How sad. Another 2 families still use it, & still complain about the cost, & the water is never clear. Yet they are so stubborn that they won't make the switch to using chlorine. It just doesn't make sense. In my opinion, you will be throwing money away, & I almost 100% guarantee you won't be happy in the long run with it. Chlorine disinfects, period! I have a small percentage in my fill/drinking water. Imagine municipalities trying to disinfect household water with baquagoo. I surely wouldn't drink it!
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

3. Back To Top    #3

I just read the post "Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine". It says to replace the sand in your filter because there will be a lot of bac-goo in it. We just put the stuff in yesterday, would we still need to do that?

I wonder if the store will take the stuff back.
    AGP 18'X33' 52" 16K Gal
    1 hp Hayward cartridge filter &
    In-Line Chlorinator
    Solar Panels

4. Back To Top    #4

Some experts will probably say yes, & I think you will need to, but don't go on my word. You may want to post this in the conversion forum. I didn't mean to sound harsh in my post, I just really don't think you would be happy with it, & was sharing my friends experiences. Good luck.
    50ppm Borates, June '12

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP.

You'll probably do fine with it for 3 or 4 years, so stick with it unless the cost is a problem. Most people show up with problems around year 4. Take every opportunity to change all the water you can, which will minimize problems.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by brendy

I wonder if the store will take the stuff back.
    I think they should, & probably will If they balk, I would get more forcefull with them about the issue. Maybe they would even trade for other pool supplies, toys, etc. if they won't give a cash refund..
    50ppm Borates, June '12

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP.

You'll probably do fine with it for 3 or 4 years, so stick with it unless the cost is a problem.
    Just curious John,
    Are you talking about the baquacil system, or the sand? I'm not an expert, but I would be surprised if you meant stay with baquacil. Any that I know here in Iowa that had used it, or still is trying to didn't get through the first season of 3-4 months that most have their pools open without problems. Not arguing, just curious.
    50ppm Borates, June '12

8. Back To Top    #8

I used it for for four years. My advice is to stay away. It is a problem waiting to happen. Read some of the conversions.
    18' x 36' inground vinyl liner 300# sand filter Blue Diamond Robot Cleaner BBB method

9. Back To Top    #9

This may not be the best place for you to get an unbiased opinion about Baquacil.

It's kinda like you going onto a Chevy forum, asking what people think of the new Fords.

I am sure that the people expressing their opinion on Baquacil here are genuine, and sincere, and base their opinions on real world experience and/or sound scientific foundations.

But, on the other hand, you are not going to get a whole lot of Baquacil fans hanging out here to give you any contrary opinions.

I think that Baquacil would attract a different sort of pool owner then who would congregrate here. We advocate that by learning the dynamics of your pool chemistry, you can stay on top of any problems, and more easily address the problems as they arrise. You can also save a lot of money by staying away from the pool store gimics, because you understand what they are trying to sell you. Baquacil is more attractive to someone who would be more prone to blindly dump chemicals in once a week and forget about it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Waskydiver presents a reasoned opinion. He might be telling my story. I joined this forum after using Baquacil for about seven years, the first four of which were trouble-free, the last three spent fighting algae and gummed up DE filter. Still, I was determined to hang with Baq because I travel on my job and find it difficult to keep up with maintenance. I was hoping to find some advice on how to deal with the continuing algae problems and the escalating cost of following the Baqucil dealers' and website advice. I found no one at all. You would think that at least one person, perhaps a casual web browser, on a widely visited website like TFP would have a good thing to say about the stuff. No chance! After two more years of pain and multiple unrequited pleas for a positive word, I converted to BBB (see Pool School). I used a bit of a different method than many on this site. At the end of last summer I let Baquacil level go to zero, shocking regularly for two weeks with monopersulfate non-chlorine shock. I then closed for the winter with only poly-quat 60 algaecide added. I opened opened and began bleach shock treatments. In less than three days I had a crystal clear pool with stable free chlorine. If you already have the stuff in the pool, chances are you won't have problems this year. Sooner or later you will (four years seems to be my non-scientific guesstimate). If everything remains OK over the summer, I would advise converting using my modified method. Otherwise, visit the forum on converting and you will get a lot of good advice.
    phil_d
    20,000 gal. vinyl liner pool
    Hayward Perflex EC-65 DE filter w/1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump
    Liquidator w/ 3/8" upgrade
    Aquabot Jr. pool cleaner