Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often to check cell??

1. Back To Top    #1

How often to check cell??

Is there a rule of thumb on when/how often to check the SWCG cell Does the amount of calcium in the water have an affect I would think it would, but I'm still learning. I've recently bumped my CH to 275 and plan on keeping it there due to getting a few cobalt stains. What other water factors would contribute to quicker scaling
    I did a search and couldn't find an answer.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often to check cell??

The chances of calcium scaling can be estimated by looking at the CSI. The higher your CSI, the more likely you are to have scaling. If you keep CSI slightly negative, scaling is unlikely. If you follow our recommended levels you don't normally need to worry about CSI at all, since the recommendations already take that into account. In a SWG cell adding borates lowers the chances of scaling by more than is indicated by the change in CSI, because borates reduce the amount of PH swing that occurs inside the cell.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    . If you follow our recommended levels you don't normally need to worry about CSI at all, since the recommendations already take that into account. .
    Now Jason, who else's recommendations would I follow Even before I added borates this year, my pH was generally always at 7.4-7.5.
    But, should I be checking it annually More,less
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Lynn I am not an expert but we only check ours when the "Inspect Cell" light on the panel comes on or we notice a decreased chlorine output. So to answer your question, we do not follow a regular schedule on that.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Always check your cell at least once a year. If there have been calcium scaling problems in the past, or you have some other reason to suspect problems check more often.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jason.
    Lynn

7. Back To Top    #7

i'd say start with monthly, and if you find there is no build up - move to annually

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Lynn,

Your unit will remind you to check the cell every 3 months. With it's 'autoreverse' calcium shouldn't be able to gunk things up, but it's as easy as unscrewing the 2 unions and looking into the cell to see if you have cal or debris in the cell's blades
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you Ted
    Lynn