Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need a little advice please

1. Back To Top    #1

I need a little advice please

This is my first post,so ,please bear with me.
    I recently rebuilt the pool/fishpond at my new house in South Eastern PA.
    It is a 48,000 gal 40 year old Sylvan that had popped probably 20 years ago.
    In it were 400 fish,500 lbs of aquatic plants,snakes,frogs,snapping turtles and 3,000 gal of muck too thick to pump.
    The concrete deck was ripped up,all plumbing broken or missing and a bit tilted.
    The pool is 9 inches higher in one corner. It's a 34'/34'/34' triangle
    With the phone help of John Galchus from poolcenter.com I spent the most agonizing summer of my life rebuilding it.
    present readings from my K-2006 test kit are
    Temp 74
    FC 2
    CC no reading
    PH 7.8
    TA 120
    CH 200
    CYA 65-70
    The only pool store in the area that knew about SWGs also sells Mineral Springs Biogard(remember I am new to all this).
    I was on their very expensive program all last year,the pool never had a cloudy day and my girlfriend's/wife's skin rash that happens every summer cleared up completely. Was that from the salt water,or, the magic minerals?

In reading in pool school about SWGs I find CH levels for all types of pools except Epoxy painted. I could not plaster because
    the tilt of the pool would have meant several rows of tiles.What is the proper CH for epoxy?

I am presently trying to lower my TA by angling my returns upward to break the surface of the water as described in pool school. Is this the correct thing to do?

The pool is presently clean and sparkling,any advise from you kind people would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    old 48,000 gal. 34"-34"-34" concrete/epoxy painted Sylvan pool
    new Pentair De. FNSP 60,Whispir flow 2 hp.
    Polaris 280,Pool Pilot Dig 220.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need a little advice please

Welcome to TFP....your FC is a little low. Given your CYA level, you should target 5-8ppm. Also aeration raises PH without effecting TA. Once you add Muratic acid to lower PH, the muratic acid lowers TA as well.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe he was trying to airate after adding MA so he could add more MA and reduce TA further. That sounds like a huge undertaking to rebuild that pool, glad to hear you are now enjoying it. I would treat that pool the same as I would a concrete pool for CH purposes. Low CH water can still draw calcium through the paint.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for such fast replys.
    I just turned up the SWG and am heading out to get some more acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by coloeb
    I believe he was trying to airate after adding MA so he could add more MA and reduce TA further. That sounds like a huge undertaking to rebuild that pool, glad to hear you are now enjoying it. I would treat that pool the same as I would a concrete pool for CH purposes. Low CH water can still draw calcium through the paint.

That may the case, but the post is not clear...and often folks get confused on what the process is. Muratic Acid additions lower PH and TA. Angling the returns upward, hence breaking the water surface, would potentially provide a source of aeration and it's effect would be a raise in PH only.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! How bout some pictures? I've never seen a triangular pool...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Melt In The Sun, I would be proud to post some pictures,as soon as I figure out how to do that.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jkahn
    Melt In The Sun, I would be proud to post some pictures,as soon as I figure out how to do that.
    You can upload your photos to Photobucket.com.

Then copy the IMG code and paste it in your message here. Choose the "large" size when uploading.

It's easy, fast and free
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum!

If it were my pool, I would do what others have already suggested.......

1. Raise the FC up in the 5-8 range (keep it there.....don't let it go below)

2. Stop aerating and reduce both the TA and pH by the addition of muriatic acid. Bring the pH down to around 7.4 or so and let the TA fall where it may.

3. Go swimming and enjoy your pool and all your hard work.

I triangular pool may be a first on the forum....love to see a pic when you figure out how.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School