Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice ........pool installation today

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Advice ........pool installation today

I am having a 16x32x52 oval AGP installed. I read where I should get a 2 speed pump because it saves on electricity. So I told my installer. He asked which one...and I have no clue. Please help with advice. Also, he said one return is fine vs two. He spoke about using a pump that is normally used by spa/jacuzzis

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"
    Jacuzzi 1.5 hp pump, 300 lb sand filter
    Full hot sun in Heart of Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Advice ........pool installation today

You want a two speed above ground pool pump around 1 HP. There are many many brands/models that would be appropriate.

It is fairly common for above ground pumps to also be sold for use in a spa/jacuzzi, the requirements are very similar.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason.

Should I push the "2 return" issue? And if so what would be my reasoning? I am unclear why some advocate the 2 returns.
    Kawfy
    AGP 16x32x52 Cornelius, guesstimate of 15400 gal. Dished out in center to 5 ft , Counter sunk 1ft 10"

4. Back To Top    #4

More than one return helps move the water around much better. It helps bring surface debris to the skimmer from the far side of the pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Every AG pool I've ever seen has only had one return and with a 1hp motor has had unbelievable circular flow assuming the return is aimed correctly. I have a 20+ year old IG pool with only one return, no issues.

6. Back To Top    #6

ok great. Thanks for all of your help! Well I suppose next time you see me I will be in the "under construction" forum with my pics
    Kawfy

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a ig pool as well with only one return. My pump is only 3/4 speed and does a very good job on normal days. Sometimes it has a hard time keeping up if someone monstrous happens, but again normal days it does just fine and leaves very little dirt and stuff in the pool.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits