Sequestrant - Any Issues Pets Drinking from Pool?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I use the HTH HDEP (sp?) sequestrant at about double the recommended maintenance dose (and pH below 7.5) for iron mostly. But it is slowly releasing some of the calcium scaling for sure and the copper staining looks to be lightening. I really hit a part of one step last night and that was the first time, since starting sequestrant last fall, after an AA treatment, that I have actually been able to see results using the small aluminum brush on the steps. I did it while in pool without using a pole so I was able to really dig in. My arms are a bit sore though.

Any known issues for dogs with them using the pool for their preferred drinking bowl?

Thanks, gg=alice

I haven't heard of anything on the lines of sequestrants in the water. The only thing that I have heard about that isn't so good for dogs is borates. Maybe AnnaK will swing by here and mention something. Her dogs let her use their pool sometimes. :mrgreen:

This is very tame when diluted in pool water. Even at the lowest effect rate of 40 mg/kg isn't likely a problem -- the dosages for the product probably result in something like 10 mg/L at the most and that effect rate was for direct body injection, not ingestion. The oral toxicity was 1800 mg/kg. Though borates were marginal at first symptoms for dogs drinking a lot from the pool, this product is much further away from such levels since a 10 kg (22 pound) dog can take 400 mg directly injected into the body cavity before first reproductive symptoms and that's probably over 10 gallons of pool water (and drinking is usually less of an issue than direct injection).

chem geek said:
This is very tame when diluted in pool water. Even at the lowest effect rate of 40 mg/kg isn't likely a problem -- the dosages for the product probably result in something like 10 mg/L at the most and that effect rate was for direct body injection, not ingestion. The oral toxicity was 1800 mg/kg. Though borates were marginal at first symptoms for dogs drinking a lot from the pool, this product is much further away from such levels since a 10 kg (22 pound) dog can take 400 mg directly injected into the body cavity before first reproductive symptoms and that's probably over 10 gallons of pool water (and drinking is usually less of an issue than direct injection).

Thanks much. I'm glad to get this info. I'm not even going to consider it any issue at all. I doubt they drink more than a few pints of pool water a day, at most. The little girls, puppies, 30 lbs, probably much less than a cup. Jake 150 lbs, Doodles 60+.

As far as borates, my pool does just fine without borates for "comfort"; just use it for minor adjustment when needed, although very rare.

Again, many thanks, gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.