Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sequestrant - Any Issues Pets Drinking from Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sequestrant - Any Issues Pets Drinking from Pool?

I use the HTH HDEP (sp?) sequestrant at about double the recommended maintenance dose (and pH below 7.5) for iron mostly. But it is slowly releasing some of the calcium scaling for sure and the copper staining looks to be lightening. I really hit a part of one step last night and that was the first time, since starting sequestrant last fall, after an AA treatment, that I have actually been able to see results using the small aluminum brush on the steps. I did it while in pool without using a pole so I was able to really dig in. My arms are a bit sore though.

Any known issues for dogs with them using the pool for their preferred drinking bowl?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sequestrant - Any Issues Pets Drinking from Pool?

I haven't heard of anything on the lines of sequestrants in the water. The only thing that I have heard about that isn't so good for dogs is borates. Maybe AnnaK will swing by here and mention something. Her dogs let her use their pool sometimes.

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't find an Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) document for HTH Metal Control. You can usually find toxicity info on there. If you find that info and give it to me, I can calculate the dosage and risk relative to, say, borates.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Maybe AnnaK will swing by here and mention something. Her dogs let her use their pool sometimes.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I found this: http://www.gulbrandsen.com/pdf/HEDPmsds.PDF

Looks pretty benign to me. Comments?

Thanks, gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

6. Back To Top    #6

This is very tame when diluted in pool water. Even at the lowest effect rate of 40 mg/kg isn't likely a problem -- the dosages for the product probably result in something like 10 mg/L at the most and that effect rate was for direct body injection, not ingestion. The oral toxicity was 1800 mg/kg. Though borates were marginal at first symptoms for dogs drinking a lot from the pool, this product is much further away from such levels since a 10 kg (22 pound) dog can take 400 mg directly injected into the body cavity before first reproductive symptoms and that's probably over 10 gallons of pool water (and drinking is usually less of an issue than direct injection).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    This is very tame when diluted in pool water. Even at the lowest effect rate of 40 mg/kg isn't likely a problem -- the dosages for the product probably result in something like 10 mg/L at the most and that effect rate was for direct body injection, not ingestion. The oral toxicity was 1800 mg/kg. Though borates were marginal at first symptoms for dogs drinking a lot from the pool, this product is much further away from such levels since a 10 kg (22 pound) dog can take 400 mg directly injected into the body cavity before first reproductive symptoms and that's probably over 10 gallons of pool water (and drinking is usually less of an issue than direct injection).
    Thanks much. I'm glad to get this info. I'm not even going to consider it any issue at all. I doubt they drink more than a few pints of pool water a day, at most. The little girls, puppies, 30 lbs, probably much less than a cup. Jake 150 lbs, Doodles 60+.

As far as borates, my pool does just fine without borates for "comfort"; just use it for minor adjustment when needed, although very rare.

Again, many thanks, gg=alice