New Pool--Plaster Questions

Jun 16, 2010
South Jersey
Hi Everyone,

We just finished the construction of a new in-ground pool (30K Gallons) and spa. The pool is concrete with Ansylbrite finish (plaster made by CLI....Sunstone Select Sapphire). The pool was just plastered on Saturday and finished filling Tuesday. We are following all of the instructions (brushing 2x day, chlorine every other day, and will have the water tested tomorrow and add appropriate chemicals).

My question has to do with the plaster. Tonight I turned on the lights for the first time and noticed some imperfections in the plaster. My understanding is that some imperfections are to be expected but I just wanted to make sure the ones we have are within the range of reason and are not cause to be concerned. What I see in the plaster are a several areas (maybe the size of a half dollar) where the surface is not smooth (maybe slightly indented, slightly pitted etc.). In other areas, there is what looks like a mark left by the edge of a spatula....again, not real deep but visibly noticeable with the lights on. I have not noticed any of these during the day.

Can someone please let me know if these kind of imperfections are "normal" or is this something to be concerned about?

Also, one final point of concern..in the shallow end, I noticed a beige, round-ish discoloration in the plaster....probably about the diameter of a tennis ball. At first I thought it was a leaf or something b/c of the color but it is actually a discoloration in the plaster. Again, does anyone know what this might and if this is a cause for concern? Is this the kind of thing to call the pool company about?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the above!

The "imperfections" sound completely normal. Remember, they finished over hard concrete, which was rough and bumpy also. The light is not your friend (go hold one against your walls, the driveway, etc. and see how that looks :shock: ), and plasterers do not accept lights as an acceptable way to judge the finish. Most everyone has the same reaction the first time they turn the light on, so your question is very normal, but the finish sounds just fine.

As for the stain..... I'd keep an eye on it and see what it does (did someone accidentally kick a dirt clod in the pool?). That is not normal, and needs to be watched. The plaster is curing and the stain will want to set. Keep an eye on it but let the builder know about it also.

Congratulations :cheers: Enjoy :party: :whoot:

Thanks for those insights. I figured as much about the imperfections in the plaster. The spot does sounds a bit troubling and I will keep an eye on it. I don't think anyone kicked a dirt clod in the pool. There is some dirt in it (we haven't been able to run the cleaner yet) but no clod to the best of my knowledge. Can you tell me what I should be looking for with the spot?

I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays the same size/shape. It very well may be a dirt stain, and, like I said, the plaster is curing and it will "capture" dirt and create a stain, if that is what it is. I hope that is not the case, as that could be troublesome to remove.

Can you brush it out some? That might provide a little insight.

Tinncupp said:
Hi Everyone,

We just finished the construction of a new in-ground pool (30K Gallons) and spa. The pool is concrete with Ansylbrite finish (plaster made by CLI....Sunstone Select Sapphire). The pool was just plastered on Saturday and finished filling Tuesday. We are following all of the instructions (brushing 2x day, chlorine every other day, and will have the water tested tomorrow and add appropriate chemicals).
!

Hey Tinncupp

We are about to plaster our pool next week and was trying to figure out what needs to be done and how long will it be before we can actually use the pool

Hi Dominick,

I was not checking this forum for a bit so you may have gotten an answer already but if not, let me know. Being a newbie myself, what I can tell you is that brushing is essential to get up the marble dust that everyone mentions. My builder suggested 2x/day for at least 2 weeks and continuing 1x every couple of days after until there was no visible dust cloud. In addition, I would recommend taking your water sample to a pool store and having them test. Make sure you tell them all the specifics of your pool and they will tell you how to treat the water. Aside from instructions from the pool store about not swimming due to certain chemicals for a day or two, you are probably free to swim pretty soon after filling.

Good luck!

Bryan (Tinncupp)

Hey Tinncupp

We are about to plaster our pool next week and was trying to figure out what needs to be done and how long will it be before we can actually use the pool[/quote]

So it has been about 3 1/2 weeks now and I am noticing a lot of variance in the shading of the pool plaster. There are areas that look "darker" or "dirty" and areas that look lighter (almost like the whole pool was dirty and someone drug something along the bottom that cleaned the surface in that area). I know everyone says that pool plaster is imperfect but does this sound "normal" or within the range of reason for the variance in plaster shading or should I be concerned?

Also, I have some construction going on near the pool (a pool pavilion) and noticed a lot of darker cloudy water when I brush the pool. Could this be affecting the plaster at this point of the game? Also, any suggestions for how to get the construction dust that floats on the surface out? The filter doesn't seem to be doing that great a job with it.

Thanks for any advice!

Bryan (Tinncupp)

How near the pool is the pavilion? Was there grading and such to prepare for it?

I always like to plaster absolutely last, well after any landscape/hardscape/building work. Plaster takes 28 days to fully cure, and any dirt that is allowed to contact fresh plaster has a tendency to latch into the plaster and stain. Your description sounds like you may have some construction material that entered the pool and may have created a stain.

Maybe you can try and post a picture (although those are tough to see and properly diagnose most times).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.