New home and pool

May 2, 2010
Just moved in about a week ago. Have not done much with the pool yet except swim between working. But I finally got in my test kit and the first problem was the PH was below what my kit would show. So I added borax to the pool with little results. I stopped bu the pool store and got a 50lb bag of soda ash. Used 40lbs of it now my PH is up but the water is looking a little green for the first time. Here are my last test results.
CL 5ppm
PH 7.2
TA 140
FC 2.5
CC 0
CH 300
CYA 70
The last owners used tablets with a inline chlorinator. I have been using the same so far with some granulated chlorine when needed since there was some left. It is not a salt water pool. And it is 18x36 with 3.5 feet to 8 feet depth in ground with a liner. It has a sand filter but I am not sure what brand. It has been running 6 hours a day during the afternoon, but I change to 3.5 hours in the morning and 3.5 in the evening just today. And it has a polaris which I love already. I read a lot of great info on here before we moved but I just have not had time to read it again. I am going to do some reading tonight but any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

If your FC is 2.5 and your CC is 0, then your TC is 2.5. Your FC should be a minimum of 5 (4.999 being too low). I'm not sure what the "CL" is on your test results.

It sounds like you need to shock your pool so check out Shocking Your Pool to see how to do this.

Have you started reading Pool School yet? There is some invaluable information in there.

Since your CYA is 70, you shouldn't use any more tablets. They will just add to your problems. I'd switch to chlorinating liquid or bleach from this point on since those won't add any more CYA.

Got the chlorine up and keeping it above 5 with bleach. CL was the chlorine level in the little tester that use 5 drops and turns yellow. Still learning all the test. Pool is staying clear thanks to the info I found here. One thing I find odd is the pool has no main drain. Just the one suction basket on the side. Good thing the polaris works good cleaning the bottom. Oh and when we moved in the timer for the pump was set up for about 6 hours in the afternoon. I have it now running 3.5 hours in the early morning and 3.5 at night. It is keeping the pool clean. That is one thing that I am not sure I am doing right. Does 7 hours a day seem ok? Thanks for the help.

It is about 28000 gal occording to the pool calculator. Not sure about the pump but I think it is a 1 hp. I work offshore so I will not be home for about three weeks to check. I will put it all in the sig then. Thanks again.

And where are you located. If in the sunny, hot south, 10-12 hours, or more may be required, depending on your pump. Sometimes one turn over a day is barely making it in very hot, sunny environments. Algae just loves when the water sits still too long.

gg=alice

We live in LA (lower Alabama) so yes it is very hot. Last time I checked the water it was 9 at night and it was 93°. My wife is trying to learn now how to take care of it. So it is like the blind leading the blind. I talked her through back flushing the pump this morning through email. The pool was a little cloudy and when she back flushed it she said alot of nasty stuff came out. She has run it four the last 4 hours and it is back clear now. After many test she has figured about half of a large botttle of bleach a day keeps the chlorine up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.