Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If you use the LQ, do you use the SWG CYA/chlorine chart?

1. Back To Top    #1

If you use the LQ, do you use the SWG CYA/chlorine chart?

As the title suggests, do I use the SWG chart or the non-SWG chart if I am using a LQ to determine my CYA/chlorine ratio?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If you use the LQ, do you use the SWG CYA/chlorine chart?

I use the standard chlorine/CYA values. I'm not sure whether the SWCG does something extra or whether there just isn't enough data collected on the LQ to add it to the chart.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You should use the regular (non-SWG) chart with the Liquidator. There isn't enough data to be totally sure, but so far nearly everyone who tried SWG FC levels with the Liquidator has had problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, thanks guys, I thought the SWG chart was based on the fact that the FC levels are held stable (for the most part) through the day by continuously adding chlorine to the pool, unlike the manual method of adding chlorine where it's added just once a day.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

The SWG chart is based on observational experience. We don't really know the true reason as to why a lower chlorine level works OK for SWG pools. Some of it may be the more consistent dosing so that it doesn't get too low but some of it may be some super-chlorination of a portion of the pool water going through the cell. I suspect it's a little bit of both though more of the latter, but to play it safe we recommend the normal dosing chart. Of course, you are free to experiment with what works in your own pool and report back to us what you find.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"