Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy from Tenn!

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy from Tenn!

Hi all,

We are almost ready to break ground on our new pool. I can't wait. But sometimes , I won't lie, I wonder if I am doing the right thing getting one. I read all the problems people have that are on here and they ask for advice. I wonder how soon I will be that guy. I wonder if it will be overwhelming. I wonder if every spare minute I have will be spent working on the pool.

We are getting an 18 x 36 liner pool. I do plan to get a salt system and a automatic cleaner. Any other suggestions from you guys on making my life easier would be appreciated.

I am new here and this is my first post. I have been looking and reading awhile. I look forward to using this forum in the future.

Thanks alot, Josh
    My Intro Page: tfp-wanna-be-checking-in-t27499.html
    20K Gal IG Pool - Resurfaced 11/14 w/ Super Blue Diamond Brite
    I test with TF-100 and SpeedStir
    1.5Pentair / 36sq DE filter
    Polaris 380 (love this thing)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: New guy from Tenn!

You will be fine...the fact that you are here before you have problems (or even a pool) puts you at a huge advantage. If you learn and utilize the tenets promoted here you will likely never be "that guy."
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

Any other suggestions from you guys on making my life easier would be appreciated.
    Yep, get yourself one of the good test kits. You can see the test kit comparison in Pool School. The fav around here is the TF100.

Enjoy your pool!.......and remember it is a swimming pool and not rocket science

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Northern Middle Tn.

Welcome to TFP Josh Where in Tenn are you located??? I'm out in the country north of Nashville.
    Good luck with your build.

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Welcome to TFP!!

By coming here before you have trouble, you've pretty much guaranteed that you won't have any

I hope you'll document your build for our viewing pleasure (we LOVE pics )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

welcome vol61.. I'm in west of oak ridge. This is my first full season with a pool and it's not very time consuming. I could probably spend less time on maintenance, but really it's relaxing to do. The construction part is slow (especially if it's rainy) at times and can get stressful but the end product is worth it.
    With a good test kit and this site you'll do fine,. I'm brand new at it,, but so far,,,,, so good!
    21000 Gallons I/G,,Vinyl,, 1.5 H.P. Hayward Pump,, Hayward Sand Filter S244T.. Liquidator.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Acton Maine

Welcome, we will help make it TF!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator ,

8. Back To Top    #8

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT