Concrete Pool re paint

May 24, 2010
CT.
Have to start thinking about repainting the concreat pond! Is this a DIY project? when is the best time of year? I heard fall as the water table is most likly at it's lowest here in CT. Was also told I need to know what type of paint was used prior?

Just looking for any information on this type of project you can provide!

Painting is a band aid that will cost more in the long run, often a lot more, than a new plaster finish.

Yes, it can be done by a homeowner if he is handy with a roller. Prep work is vital. Scrimp here and the results will suffer. Warm, dry and moderate humidity are the dictating conditions needed.

The existing paint must be tested for the type. There are several types of pool paint. There is chlorinated rubber, synthetic rubber, acrylic, and epoxy.

Mixing paint type coatings usually results in poor paint adhesion and short life. Sand blasting or hydro-blasting (3500 PSI power washer) to remove the old paint is usually needed when this happens. Sand blasting makes a huge mess, usually requires professionals and hydro-blasting takes a lot of time but is less messy.

The two brands I have direct experience with are Olympic/Kelly Coatings and Sau-Sea Pool Paints. There are other brands out there. I prefer the Olympic/Kelly for the results I get.

Here are their web sites:

Olympic/Kelly Coatings : http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/default.asp
Sau-Sea Pool Paints : http://www.sausea.com/

Scott

Gunite/shotcrete is concrete shot from an applicator gun at a high speed (200-300 mph). Most concrete pools are made using one of these two products.

There are lots of cementacious finishes. Examples are plaster, PebbleTec, Diamond Brite, SunStone, and River Roc. This is by no means, a comprehensive list.

A cementacious finish can last from 10 to 20+ years. Paint lasts but a couple. Costs for paint and labor easily come in well above the cost for a cementacious finish when you see how long each lasts.

A picture of your pool would help.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.