Differences are between the Cubby and Digital

Jun 15, 2010
NB, Canada
I was wondering what the differences are between the Cubby and Digital as well? Time is of the essence, they are installing a new liner on Monday and i would like to get them to convert to SWG on the same day. The guy recommended Cubby.

I believe i have a roughly 35K gallon IG pool (20 x 40 feet), Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter.

Up here in Canada, the prices are fairly steep. Any Canadians on here find a cheaper place to buy SWGs?

Thanks!

There are a couple of different models you might be talking about.

The old AutoPilot Cubby had a simple knob and a couple of LEDs. The knob let you set the percentage and the LEDs report the system status in very simple working/broken terms.

The more recent AutoPilot Cubby Digital has an alphanumeric LCD display and several buttons. This one has a user interface very similar to the AutoPilot Digital, except on a slightly smaller LCD screen.

Then there is the AutoPilot AG, which has a two digit LED and a couple of buttons. This is similar to the old Cubby except you get a digital readout of the percentage.

The AutoPilot Digital Nano is very similar to the older AutoPilot Cubby Digital except it uses a new cell design.

The AutoPilot Digital is the fanciest of the units, with a large bright alphanumeric display that reports what is happening in English. It also works with the larger cell sizes, which most of the others don't.

As far as I can tell, both Cubby models have been discontinued, though one of them is still available from some vendors. Meanwhile the AG and Digital Nano models are extremely new and not everyone has them in stock yet.

Based on your website calculator (and my approximate depth) i should be between 34K and 39K Gallons. I think the company that supplies this guy is called Lectranator (www.lectranator.com). Is this the same as Autopilot (i.e. Canadian reseller)? The guy wasn't very specific. He said he sells two sizes, 36K and 48K.

Is it possible to get this cheaper from the States and hooking it up myself? Where? I would worry about the electrical part of it. I have an extra outlet next to where my pump is hooked up, but i'm not sure what the power on there is.

Thanks guys!

Lectranator is the only Canadian Authorized Importer of AutoPilot systems. They have set up their chain of resellers throughout Canada.

It is important to know that "legally and technically", the AutoPilot system has to have a Canadian PCP certification, which Lectranator has done at their cost. This is kinda like an EPA approval.
So, I must say that you should not be able to purchase an AutoPilot stateside and bring it into Canada. Nor should a US company ship it to Cananda.
Having said that, there's no way for AutoPilot to check this.

I found a Canadian website that sells Aquarite (good to 40K gallons). It would be like $900 cheaper for me than the Autopilot here in Canada.

I was wondering what you guys think of these units? Are they reliable? What are the major differences between both brands?

Thanks!

The Aqua Rite SWGs are fine units. They are missing a few nice features from the AutoPilot units, but nothing really essential. The AutoPilot units have temperature compensation, most of them have a nice alphanumeric display that tells you things in English instead of code numbers, and the manifold design works well over a wider range of flow rates. Still, the Aqua Rite has all the essential features, are well thought of, and it is difficult to ignore a price difference that large.

Thanks Jason! To be honest i had my heart set on the Autopilot Digital (at US prices). Unfortunately, i seem to be able to get the Aquarite at $900 cheaper than a Cubby...which from what i read, doesn't have all the gadgets that you mentioned. Autopilot only has one importer, so i guess i'm out of options.

I found a local dealer who wanted to get rid of his last Digital Autopilot...below his cost. For whatever resons he mentioned. The guy who is installing my liner kinda tried to scare me away saying it seems fishy, maybe it's used, etc.

It's an Autopilot Digital (SC-48). The cell has C7 on it i think. Is there any way for me of knowing if the warranty on this unit is still valid?

Thanks!

If it has not been installed before, the warranty should go by the date of purchase from the Autopilot dealer. The SC-48 should be the same as an RC-7 cell...although the RC-7 nomenclature has not been used for about 8 years.
The best way to know if there will still be a warranty is to call and confirm with Lectranator. Let them know the serial number so they can verify if it had been claimed as installed previously. If it has not been installed, I would guess that they would honor the warranty still. That will be their call though.

I appreciate you considering the AutoPilot system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.