Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool store lies!

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool store lies!

Well, I had to share this. I went to the pool store for a pump strainer gasket and teflon lube yesterday, and was asked how I chlorinate. SWCG...No, I don't shock weekly...If I did shock, I would use bleach...he then said bleach is bad so I asked him what I should use and why.

"For a pebble pool, don't use chlor brite (dichlor), use power powder (cal-hypo). The chlor-brite will eat your pebbles." Eh?

I think, of all the parts of my pool, the pebbles themselves would be the LAST thing that improper chemical usage could destroy!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool store lies!

Mmmm....pebbles
    (ala Homer Simpson)
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Its funny how pool stores are about as trustworthy as shady mechanics.
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep I was getting a skimmer vac plate adapter in the store last night (incidentally their price was the same as online) and there was a guy there getting his water tested and by the time the lady was done testing it (which they charge $5 to do btw) the man was spending $223 on chemicals that day and was told that he would need another dose of the same amount in a few more days.

No idea what was wrong or what he got but I sure felt bad for him.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry to get my kids from school I would have stuck around and waited for him to come out and tell him about Pool School and TFP but I had to run and I would not have slammed the store folks right there in their store.

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

5. Back To Top    #5

Sheesh! You know that times are bad when places actually charge you $5 for inaccurate test results.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unfortunately near me there is a pool store that are like the pool nazis....you can't buy a float without them hounding why aren't you buying your chems from them.....it's nerve racking anytime I go in, I need to start wearing disguises I think. Dress as an old feeble lady maybe they will leave me be.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by whoozer
    Unfortunately near me there is a pool store that are like the pool nazis....you can't buy a float without them hounding why aren't you buying your chems from them.....it's nerve racking anytime I go in, I need to start wearing disguises I think. Dress as an old feeble lady maybe they will leave me be.
    Wow - and you still shop there?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

Only for the stuff that I absolutely need asap and can't get fast enough on the internet. I did find another one just a little further away that is alot better. Thank goodness!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

9. Back To Top    #9

I went into a pool store the other day and asked if they sold liquid chlorine. The girl behind the counter says "Nope! Don't believe in it..too short of a shelf life. Just mix that (points to the cal-hypo shock stuff) with water and there you go!" ummmmmm....I just walked out.
    15,000 Gal IG Plaster
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward 1.0 HP Pump
    Hayward H Series Heater
    Really OLD Polaris Pool Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

I love the manager at our Leslie's. He practices BBB method in his pool. He has never, ever tried to push anything on me since we had our first discussion last year. I'm so lucky. I always run in there, grab what I need, which is almost always Fiber Clear, pay and run out. A couple of months ago I made the comment about Pool Stores going out of business if everyone practiced BBB method. His reply was that most people just glaze over when he tries to explain something "different", and only want to be told what to buy and how to use it, no matter what it cost them. The first time I met him, when he first started at the store last year, he really lit up (in a good way) when I started talking chems.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

11. Back To Top    #11

x2 for Leslies. I've had nothing but great help from them in bringing my green pool back from the dead.
    • 10k Gallon Pool[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Cartridge Filter (Hayward)[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • In-ground, Plaster[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • 2.4hp pump/ 150gpm filter[/*:m:26tadf53]
    • Los Angeles, CA[/*:m:26tadf53]