Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaning the sand

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaning the sand

I sincerely hope this is not a DUHHHHH!!! question......

When looking at the instructions for cleaning the sand bed with a water hose, I went outside, took off the pressurized ring under the multiport valve, and looked inside. I can't see the sand, just a divider of sorts and I'm assuming the sand is below that? Does the whole top of the filter need to come off, or can I stick the water hose into one of the divided sections?

And now for the REALLY dumb question......

If I have to completely expose the sand bed, what's the best way to move that monstrously heavy filter out from under the plumbing??????? (yes, i'm a female--and yes, I lack a garage full of tools and equipment! )
    NW Tennessee
    24' Round AGP
    13,500 gallons
    1.5 hp Pentair pump w/ sand filter
    From swamp to sparkly with BBB!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: cleaning the sand

What model sand filter do you have?

Sounds like to me you just took the top off the multiport. You have to completely remove the multiport from the filter tank to access the sand. Provided it's not a side valve style. So yes, that means disconnecting the plumbing. Post a pic of the plumbing and filter & we can tell you what you need to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit